MrCoffee

Getting Tested, Am I Doing This Right?

Rate this topic

I am having an endoscopy w/biopsy done on the 20th of may to test for celiac. However, I have been gluten-free since mid/late december, or maybe before... I can't remember. I mentioned this to the GI doctor, and he said that this wouldn't be an issue. I've been told that for a proper diagnosis of celiac disease, you must not be on a gluten free diet for a certain period of time. So, what gives here? Is my GI doctor a nut or have things changed? He seemed pretty knowledgeable to me about other things, and he claims to have quite a few celiac patients.

He doesn't know what he is doing. Hopefully you are back on gluten and have been for a while. If not if you want any chance of an accurate diagnosis you need to be back on the full gluten diet for 3 months. Even then there is a chance of a false negative. How did you feel gluten free?

I'm sorry, but raven is right. For a endoscopic biopsy for celiac disease to be effective you have to be on a gluten containing diet. And if you have been off gluten for a while it needs to be an extensive, intensive diet. Your GI is flat out wrong. You need to change doctors.

I'll have to call up the doctor's office and question them about it again. I'll post the response. Thanks for the responses.