Spudz

Diet Recommendations Prior To Celiac Disease Screen?

Rate this topic

I came home from a doctor's appointment with a lab requisition for multiple tests, and was surprised to see "Celiac Disease Screen" checked off. Nothing was mentioned about this possibility during my appointment. My doctor isn't aware I've already adopted an essentially gluten-free diet -- not because I suspected Celiac Disease, but because I feel better not eating refined grain products. I'm wondering if I should load up on foods containing gluten during a period of a few weeks prior to the Celiac Disease Screen, or will it show the appropriate positive/negative result regardless of diet? I've already been told to go off anti-inflammatory medications/supplements for a couple of weeks prior to other blood tests (I'm dealing with a number of autoimmune issues), so going on a gluten-rich diet (if appropriate) wouldn't delay the testing. Should I do so? And, can anybody tell me exactly what a "Celiac Disease Screen" is? Thanks.

I came home from a doctor's appointment with a lab requisition for multiple tests, and was surprised to see "Celiac Disease Screen" checked off. Nothing was mentioned about this possibility during my appointment. My doctor isn't aware I've already adopted an essentially gluten-free diet -- not because I suspected Celiac Disease, but because I feel better not eating refined grain products. I'm wondering if I should load up on foods containing gluten during a period of a few weeks prior to the Celiac Disease Screen, or will it show the appropriate positive/negative result regardless of diet? I've already been told to go off anti-inflammatory medications/supplements for a couple of weeks prior to other blood tests (I'm dealing with a number of autoimmune issues), so going on a gluten-rich diet (if appropriate) wouldn't delay the testing. Should I do so? And, can anybody tell me exactly what a "Celiac Disease Screen" is? Thanks.

Hi Spudz,

To insure the most accurate result possible, you should be eating the equivalent of at least 3-4 slices of wheat bread a day for at least 3-4 months. If you are tested while on a gluten-free diet, the results will most likely be negative regardless.

A Celiac Screen, or Celiac Panel as it's sometimes called, checks for auto-antibodies. More specifically immunoglobulin A (IgA), anti-tissue transglutaminase (tTGA), and IgA anti-endomysium antibodies (AEA).