This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frustrated Teen

zombietommie

zombietommie Newbie

I'm a very frustrated teenager.

I do not have celiac, but I have a gluten intolerance, I'm hypoglycemic, I have GERD, I have variable bowel syndrome, I currently cannot have soy or dairy (lactose or casein) and I'm really getting frustrated on how I'm supposed to eat.

I keep getting head rushes because since I stopped eating dairy and soy my hypoglycemia isn't under control anymore.

I'm going crazy!

Support and some fresh ideas would be very, very appreciated...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Northern Celiac Newbie

I do not have celiac, but I have a gluten intolerance, I'm hypoglycemic, I have GERD, I have variable bowel syndrome, I currently cannot have soy or dairy (lactose or casein) and I'm really getting frustrated on how I'm supposed to eat.

I keep getting head rushes because since I stopped eating dairy and soy my hypoglycemia isn't under control anymore.

I'm going crazy!

Hi, I am a Celaic (quite severe) and I also have gerd so I do understand your problem. I am also lactose intolerant. I eat a Meditteranean diet and it has made all the difference. Rice pasta, lots of Veggies, hummus, I make my own rice crackers, and meat. On being lactose intolerant I found lactose free milk for my baking worked, also european cheese works for me too(parmesan reggianno). If you need some receipe ideas feel free to PM me

Cheers

Mike

missy'smom Collaborator

I'm going crazy!

I also can't have dairy or soy and have experienced hypoglycemia so my advice come from experience.

I strongly recommend that you try to eat a good amount of protein every time you eat preferably from meat or eggs. Also some fats are important. Protein and fats help slow the rate at which the carbs hit your blood stream. They slow the stomach down becaues they are more slowly digested. They will alos give you longer lasting energy. Carbs are quickly turned into sugar and hit the blood stream quicky spiking our blood sugar up and then it falls. Anything white-rice, potatoes, bread cake etc. is just converted into sugar by the body. Limiting your carbohydrates will elp as well. It may help if you keep your meals evenly spread out throughout the day and maybe eat an extra snack that looks like a balanced mini meal in the afternoon. For example I eat a meal every 4 hours pretty much on time-sometimes 3 1/2 or 5 hrs apart but I aim for every 4 hours. My afternoon "snack" contains all the foods that my main meals do, just smaller portion. Things like salami, nuts, seeds, deli meats(make sure they contain less than 1 gram sugar per serving-some contain quite a bit!), avacados make good snack foods. Olives. Hard boiled eggs. Sure, not as fun as cookies and chips but in my experience, it's worth it to feel good. And you can still have the goodies, you just have to keep it under control and make sure you keep everything in balance. If it would help you, you can list your meals and we can give you some suggestions to help you balance them out.

missy'smom Collaborator

On the subject of milks. There are some alternatives to milk that are tasty and nice as a beverage or to cook with but the chemistry of them is different so they won't have the same effect on your blood sugar as cow's milk will. I like the coconut milk in the carton-I forgot the name, So Delicious? I get the unsweetened. It has minimal effect on my blood sugar-doen't raise it, which is my primary concern. I think the doctors recommend milk because it has few carbs so doesn't raise the blood sugar much and has protein so a good balance for stabilizing blood sugar-keeps it up a bit but not too much or too fast-longer lasting help. Other forms of protein, like I mentioned can do the same job.

Archived