2muchpoo

Remission Periods?

Rate this topic

Hi from a new member. I have a couple questions I am hoping someone can help with. My first question is whether Celiac symptoms are pretty much full blown all the time if you are eating gluten, or if you have periods of remission alternating with "flares". Most of my symptoms seem to mirror Celiac but I do have times when I do pretty well and other times when I am running to the bathroom several times a day - sometimes before I even finish a meal!

Question two is how long does it generally take to run the Celiac panel blood test. I had my blood draw on the afternoon of the 14th so let's just say the 17th and give them the weekend off :) It has been a full week - should I call the doctors office and bug them? I had a colonoscopy on Thursday, the 20th and they did not have the results back yet. I have already decided if it comes back negative to ask for the endoscopy but I am just not sure when to start bugging them!

Thanks for being here. I have had a lot of questions answered just by lurking :)

Kathi

I was like that for years. I thought it had to do with something I was eating, or not enough fiber some days, too much beer, etc. Looking back, I can see some times when I was doing better were because I just happened to be eating less things with wheat - had a box of Rice Chex I was eating for several days, Tacos one day, homemade stew & leftovers that week, couldn't get Chicken noodle soup so had chicken rice.

I wish now I had been keeping a food journal. I've been off and on Adkins and South Beach several times over the last several years. It would be interesting to see how that matched up with symptoms. It is difficult to look back and say for sure but...odds are good.

The only thing I have been able to tie to symptoms with absolute certainty is that stuff they put in diet candies - malitol or sorbitol...somethingitol! But I don't think that has anything to do with Celiac or gluten issues. I just know too much of it is a dangerous thing for me (and it doesn't take too much to be "too much") but I think they have a warning on the labels that it can affect anyone that way! YIKES! Why do we eat this stuff??

I also think my difficulty with losing weight stems from everything going through my body so fast it is scared it isn't going to get to keep anything so it holds on to every bit it can!

Diarrhea is a common result of consuming large amounts of sugar alcohols (those ***itol things). It has nothing to do with celiac disease.