erinb24

Unexplained Weight Gain

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in December 2008 (blood test) by a wonderful doctor and have been eating gluten free since then (with a few slip ups, of course!). I was doing really well but in the past year or so I started gaining lots of weight. Before I started feeling symptoms of celiac, I lost lots of weight, and when the bad digestive symptoms (mostly bloating and stomach pain) started, I began to gain weight and haven't felt as good anymore. It has gotten worse, and I have not changed my eating habits, and have actually increased exercise, but nothing works. I eat naturally gluten free, and eat very little in terms of overly processed gluten substitutes.

I had my thyroid tested at my last gyn appointment, and my TSH was 1.5, which I believe is on the high end of normal. Thyroid issues do run in my family, but I also have low IGA, so I'm wondering if that interfered with the results.

I have an appointment with my GI doctor about the weight gain and worsening symptoms. I still look totally normal though; I'm not overweight, but I don't look/feel right for me. I'm beginning to get depressed because of the way I look and feel. It's hard to talk about this to people because they roll their eyes and tell me that I look fine.

How should I approach this issue with the doctor? Could it still be a thyroid issue? Any other possibilities? I'm just tired of not feeling like myself anymore!

I have an appointment with my GI doctor about the weight gain and worsening symptoms. I still look totally normal though; I'm not overweight, but I don't look/feel right for me. I'm beginning to get depressed because of the way I look and feel. It's hard to talk about this to people because they roll their eyes and tell me that I look fine.

I hear you! I think sometimes people think they do us a favor by rolling their eyes and assuring us we look great, but honest sympathy would be much better than trying to make us feel better. If you are gaining weight despite increasing your exercise and your diet has remained great, there is something going on. For me, the only time I drastically gained weight was when my immune system was going crazy. The last time I had gluten, I had to pull out my old clothes because I couldn't wear my current size any more.

Good luck!

I can relate to this. I was diagnosed May 2009. I've been gaining weight, despite eating lots better and I'm now starting a running program, though I walk pretty regularly. I feel better than I did before I got diagnosed, but I still don't feel great, and it's a different kind of not feeling good. I'm going to see a gastroenterologist in two weeks, so I'll see how that goes. There's something I've been having a tough time processing, and it's not dairy, because I've been dairy-free. My mom's side has a history of gall bladder issues, so it might be that.

I want answers, though.