Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

taradorff

What Happens When You Get A Biopsy?

Im gettin a biopsy done July 23rd and Im nervous about it, Im not sure how they do it? OR what they even use? Can people who have had a biopsy done tell me what happens please? Im just really nervous and I think if I know I wont stress about it. thanx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Im gettin a biopsy done July 23rd and Im nervous about it, Im not sure how they do it? OR what they even use? Can people who have had a biopsy done tell me what happens please? Im just really nervous and I think if I know I wont stress about it. thanx

Don't be nervous.

You will be out for it.

What they give you to put you out you should ask. I ask because I knew that opiates and I don't mix so I asked them to go easy on the fentonel (sp?).

Also, there are no nerve/pain receptors in the tissue of the esophagus or in the intestines so any tissue they take you will not feel any pain.

The only thing that you may possibly feel is the sensation of having something stuck down your throat for a few days afterwords.

That will pass.

Otherwise, it's much better than getting a colonoscopy!!

I was very scared about it as well but everything went okay.

~Allison

Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.

Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.

Mostly lactose intolerant for all of my life (except for yoghurt)

Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.

Went back to the poison in March, 2010.

Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.

Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

You will go in and they will insert an IV line. Then you wait your turn. If you are very nervous some doctors will give you an oral sedative to take at home before you go but there really is nothing to be nervous about. You will go into the endo room and they will put you to sleep. You will wake up and go home. That's it. Make sure you bring someone with you as you will not be able to drive or operate machinery for the rest of the day. Many are a bit sleepy afterward.

As mentioned you shouldn't have any pain at all from the procedure or the biopsies.

The day you have your biopsies done you can start a trial of the diet, you don't need to wait for the results. False negatives are all too common so a dietary trial is needed no matter what the results. If you had positive blood work you do need to be on the diet and the biopsy will be to check how much damage has been done.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)