This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hives That Don't Go Away

jessicalw28

jessicalw28 Apprentice

For the past 5 weeks, I have had hives all over. They do not go away and come back, just move around. I have been taking antihistamines (Allegra and Zyrtec), oatmeal baths and using steroidal creams (cortaid), but nothing seems to work. I have an appointment with an allergist in two days, but I am beginning to think it may be gluten intolerance.

I have been doing lots of research online and found that I have some of the symptoms, but my GI symptoms are not really that bad. I do get gas almost everytime I eat and sometimes it is pretty malodorous, but no diarrhea. I do have lactose intolerance, which I have read can be linked to celiac disease. I also bruise easily (possibly from not absorbing vitamin K?) and have had menstrual problems for the past 2 years (having 2 periods in one month). I also get mouth ulcers quite often and have anxiety. I have been told by my dentist that I have lots of wearing of my enamel. I have also suffered from chronic acid refulx and heartburn for the past 2 years or so. I get it almost every time I eat anything. Prilosec helps with that, but I'd love to find out what is causing it. I also get lots of food cravings, usually for fatty and salty foods.

Does any of this sound like I could have celiac disease or gluten intolerance? My main problem right now is getting rid of the hives. Please let me know if you have something similar to this or have any clues for me. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It does sound like you may be one of us. I would suggest you have the allergist or your regular doctor do a full celiac panel as a first step. If you do have celiac you need to be aware it is not an allergy and will not show up in allergy testing. Some allergists will guide with an elimination diet which can show us that we are better off with gluten but you usually will be referred to a GI for confirmation. Which requires you to go back on gluten. So ideally if you can see your regular doctor for a celiac panel or get a referral to a GI that would be a good thing to do. Be aware that there can be false negatives with both blood and biopsy.

jessicalw28 Apprentice

Thanks. I will ask the allergist about a GI referral if he does not find something else.

Archived