Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ouatic

What Tests Do I Need To Request

I know this information is here, but I'm not finding it. I was on the gluten free diet for a couple of years and was doing much better. My doctor said that I should be tested for celiac because if I have it I need to be stricter with my diet to avoid the known complications. If it is just a gluten sensitivity she says its not as much of a "risk" when I get glutened. Anyway I want to make sure that I am getting the blood tests I need. I had a biopsy years ago and it came back with slight flattening of the villi but the gastro at that time refused to give me a blood test for celiac and told me the flattening didn't mean anything and I didn't have celiac. It was after that I gave up and just went on the diet and my gerd and everything except the diarrhea went away - but even the diarrhea got better. When I went back on wheat the gerd and other problems came back. However, I became constipated (strange for me) with occasional dairrhea attacks. I have been on wheat again for about 5 weeks and will be taking the test in about 2 weeks. I'm fairly sure I have celiac but I know the tests don't always come back positive so I wanted to make sure I had all the correct tests to get my best chance of a diagnosis becuase after these tests I am going back on the diet for good. But if I am positive I think it may help to diagnose my mother and aunt who I think also have this. Any help directing me to the best information on tests will be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Here's some info from the University of Chicago Celiac Center.

http://www.uchospitals.edu/pdf/uch_007935.pdf

And the celiac society.

http://www.csaceliacs.org/celiac_diagnosis.php

By the way, I turned these up with a very straightforward Google search for "celiac blood tests". If you want more information you might give it a try.

I know this information is here, but I'm not finding it. I was on the gluten free diet for a couple of years and was doing much better. My doctor said that I should be tested for celiac because if I have it I need to be stricter with my diet to avoid the known complications. If it is just a gluten sensitivity she says its not as much of a "risk" when I get glutened. Anyway I want to make sure that I am getting the blood tests I need. I had a biopsy years ago and it came back with slight flattening of the villi but the gastro at that time refused to give me a blood test for celiac and told me the flattening didn't mean anything and I didn't have celiac. It was after that I gave up and just went on the diet and my gerd and everything except the diarrhea went away - but even the diarrhea got better. When I went back on wheat the gerd and other problems came back. However, I became constipated (strange for me) with occasional dairrhea attacks. I have been on wheat again for about 5 weeks and will be taking the test in about 2 weeks. I'm fairly sure I have celiac but I know the tests don't always come back positive so I wanted to make sure I had all the correct tests to get my best chance of a diagnosis becuase after these tests I am going back on the diet for good. But if I am positive I think it may help to diagnose my mother and aunt who I think also have this. Any help directing me to the best information on tests will be greatly appreciated.

The NIH is having a celiac awareness campaign. Here is a link to their testing page. As you know there is a chance of a false negative so do try the diet after all the tests are done.

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiactesting/index.htm

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)