Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adab8ca

Going To Start Gluten Free Today, Need Suggestions

As I went gluten free about 6 weeks ago for a month and had a very hard time (pain, pain pain in my joints, muscles and no improvement of symptoms) i am very anxious to try again. However, someone suggested i may have other food issues...So I am going to try a very basic diet. Question: Should I avoid gluten free cereals and crackers? Gluten free bread? I have no idea what to eat for breakfast and lunch, any suggestions?

thanks

ada

TTG >200 (normal <10)

IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)

IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)

Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy

Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010

Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

As I went gluten free about 6 weeks ago for a month and had a very hard time (pain, pain pain in my joints, muscles and no improvement of symptoms) i am very anxious to try again. However, someone suggested i may have other food issues...So I am going to try a very basic diet. Question: Should I avoid gluten free cereals and crackers? Gluten free bread? I have no idea what to eat for breakfast and lunch, any suggestions?

thanks

ada

oh yes, and im sure others will chime in here too- because of cross contamination & because many of us are somewhat intolerant to most grains- it would be a good idea for u to start your gluten free journey with a very natural diet- lean meats & fish, veggies, fruits... you may also have to eliminate dairy .. you can try to add different grains in later when you're feeling better-

but yes- many of us feel better without grains. the first month i went gluten free- i went CRAZY with the gluten free cookies & treats, cereals, and breads- i was still a little bloated- and PUT ON 7 pounds <_<

not pushing any names on u- but i know of at least 3 different docs out there with books with totally different outlooks that all claim the grains can be inflammatory...

when i hear the same thing from several different sources- AND i experience it- i know there's something to it.

i, personally, feel much better on a natural whole foods meats,veggies,fruits diet.... with maybe rice 2x a week.

you should try it out for a little while-> give your body a break from the grains

others on here will suggest to u a "specific carbohydrate diet" which i dont really know anything about.

good luck :)

PS- i feel best starting the day with a 1 egg omelette with spinach or broccoli! full till like 1pm. but also keep in mind- sometimes when the body is healing it could take 3-4 weeks for your body to feel ok with ANY food.

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(