Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arwen2k3

Just Off Gluten Now Hyperactive

My son has now been gluten free for a week, however it is now that we are noticing serious hyperactivity. I don't know if it's that he just feels so great without tummy problems and more energy and is adjusting? Or is it a withdrawal symptom? He also has been more mischievous and inflexible off the gluten. Has anyone else experienced the pendulum swing in this direction while getting gluten out of the system? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My son has now been gluten free for a week, however it is now that we are noticing serious hyperactivity. I don't know if it's that he just feels so great without tummy problems and more energy and is adjusting? Or is it a withdrawal symptom? He also has been more mischievous and inflexible off the gluten. Has anyone else experienced the pendulum swing in this direction while getting gluten out of the system? Thanks!

Absolutely experienced this with my son. The first thing we noticed going gluten-free is that his energy level went through the roof. His attitude changed a bit and we had a bit more difficulty with getting him to follow direction, not talk back, etc. But this all coincided with the "terrible two's". I was expecting him to start throwing more tantrums not just because of the age, but because he was feeling better and had more energy to. The energy is what I really noticed though. My oldest is a girl and she was pretty docile as a child...but man now that I have two boys I can tell you the "play" is so much different. We have found the BEST way to prevent issues is to make sure they are getting enough physical activity. Parks, playgrounds, malls...heck even Walmart.

Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.