This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Probiotics?

Superfudge

Superfudge Rookie

I know a lot of you take probiotics, and I'm wondering what you'd recommend. When I met with my dietician I asked her, and she said anything is fine as long as it's refrigerated. But when I got to the store, whoa, there were a TON of choices! Different numbers of bacteria, huge price range, different things it's supposed to help... I don't know where to start! I just randomly chose one, and I'm not sure if it's helping or not (doesn't appear to be hurting either). Any recommendations? I am lucky to live in an area that is very good for special diet needs, but this is crazy!

Also, I've seen people mention enzymes. What kind, and where would I find those?

As always, thanks for your help! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

I know a lot of you take probiotics, and I'm wondering what you'd recommend. When I met with my dietician I asked her, and she said anything is fine as long as it's refrigerated. But when I got to the store, whoa, there were a TON of choices! Different numbers of bacteria, huge price range, different things it's supposed to help... I don't know where to start! I just randomly chose one, and I'm not sure if it's helping or not (doesn't appear to be hurting either). Any recommendations? I am lucky to live in an area that is very good for special diet needs, but this is crazy!

Also, I've seen people mention enzymes. What kind, and where would I find those?

As always, thanks for your help! :)

What kind of probiotics, potency (different number of bacteria) and when you take them, depend on what you want from probiotics. Do you want to improve your digestion? Do you have chronic bloating, irregularity (diarrhea or constipation), even after abstaining from all gluten and other diagnosed food allergies? Have you taken antibiotics either recently or in the past? Have you ever had any gastrointestinal infections (bacteria, parasites or fungus like candida)?

Superfudge Rookie

Pretty much yes to all of those, although the bloating and other GI issues have much improved gluten free (have only been gluten-free since August 10). I'm not sure exactly why she recommended probiotics, but I'm guessing to help my overall digestion and to normalize the good bacteria in my intestine after years of "abuse." I wish she'd been more specific

bluebonnet Explorer

well my gi doctor suggested sustenex which doesn't require refrigeration (due to the improved research to keep it alive). they have a website that you can print a coupon. you want atleast 2 billion (min.). take it daily. there are several good ones out there. there is another one he recommended that started with a c and i can't remember the name right now (sorry!) but i remember how expensive it was ... around $40! over a dollar a day is a little to pricey when there are other options that are as reliable. good luck! :)

Skylark Collaborator
BTW, the bacterial GI infection was many years ago, and I did have antibiotics for that. I also had a scorching case of food poisoning about 7 years ago — so bad I had to go to the hospital for intravenous fluids, and also had them for that. I suspect the food poisoning may be what triggered my celiac response, because I haven't really felt right ever since.

Campylobacter infections have been shown to trigger celiac.

I have had good results at various times with Threelac and FermPlus for yeast. They are both pricey too, and I mail order them. I can also get Yakult here so I grab a pack whenever I'm at the grocery store.

Looking for answers Contributor

Renew Life makes several kinds that work very well. I also like Jarrow, which is on the cheaper end.

Archived