Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kay DH

gluten-free Glutening

I'm feeling a bit betrayed. Even if you have been eating at a restaurant that promotes gluten-free, you can NEVER relax your vigil over that nasty compound molecule. Strange emotions considering it was just a waitperson at a that resulted in the gluten. Some of the restaurants have been going through a gluten-free trial period with dedicated grill, waffle iron, pans, menu, etc (http://www.lepeep.com/locations.php). Usually they are great and the staff knowledgeable. I stressed to the wait staff at this one that I am very gluten intolerance. The waitress, who has been there a while, seemed apathetic but wrote down my order as turkey sandwich on gluten-free flat bread, and gave it to me as such. I was with a group and didn't notice the bread was wrong until I ate much of the sandwich. So, next morning massive D, lethargy, etc. I'll keep trying the manager until he is available, and ask him to educate the waitress on gluten-free since they are the first line of defense. Since I went completely gluten-free on Jan. 1st, every time I have gotten glutened it has been from gluten-free meals at restaurants or labeled gluten-free foods (processed in a plant that also processes wheat...). My gluten intolerance started a year ago, a couple of weeks after getting the flu and high stress. Oh well, from reading posts from advanced members it seems like going gluten-free gets more automatic through time. My record is three months gluten-free. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would also email the corporate office. I know they are like a franchise and owned by different people. If this is part of the corporate plan, they will want to know.

I would also email the corporate office. I know they are like a franchise and owned by different people. If this is part of the corporate plan, they will want to know.

I actually tried the comments section of their (above) website. I could only enter a bit of the info and then it kicked me into a new comment form, which I started to enter, then it kicked me back. Probably poor web design built by a failed commedian, since my web options are good. One of their corporate officers has celiac, and she has initiated the trial period. I'll try the manager and calling the corporate office again. Thanks.

I was able to get contact the manager at the Lakewood Le Peeps and he was very nice. He wrote down my server, what I had, and what was contaminated (bread). He said he would talk with the server about gluten intolerance, check out what went wrong, and asked me to talk with him next time I am there. So much nicer than managers that blame you for getting sick, such as "did you eat the bread sticks?" and other ludicrous responses. It is good to let the corporate office know about problems and resolutions.