This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood Work Neg But Biopsy Showed Shortened Villi

Maryann10

Maryann10 Newbie

i saw my doctor on thursday as my stomach issues continue after 1 week off gluten, dosed with prilosec (for the GERD). my blood tests were negative yet he reread pathology report from endo and said to stay off the gluten (damage doesn't seem too bad but evidence of celiac). though it is difficult, i have no problem with it. i also removed dairy as i know i am lactose intolerant (but was not to a degree that i had to stop previously (long story, became vegetarian and developed severe LA. started carnivorous diet again and most symptoms abated). now i'm having problems with loose bowel movements--NEVER had them before unless it was viral. could this be a detox symptom or could it be the prescription prilosec? has anyone had this problem with the med before? i just feel depressed because i get an answer that may be the big mystery that caused all my weird health problems and now i get this other thing that was never an issue. also, they are doing ultrasound on my abdomen monday to rule out anything else. i think the worry is making me even sicker.

also, i have a 5 year old and we are attending many halloween events this weekend. one is a potluck and the host just doesn't get it. "it only has a little bit of butter"--making guacamole and other dip type things but doesn't understand mine has to be separate to avoid x-contam. how do we deal with this stuff? i emailed and explained to her. my friend who has a son with many sensitivities told me to just bring my own food. i don't want to be rude but do people ever get it???

thanks for any all responses. it is new. my husband finally understands. i was ok in the beginning but now i just feel a bit depressed about it all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kay DH Apprentice

Bring your own food. Even if a food seems safe, did they use the same spoon that they used to stir a gluten-full dish? We have been through this transition phase, a grieving, and it gets better after. You may be in detox phase, or you might still be getting cc'd. My tolerance for gluten dropped once I went completely gluten-free.

Dixiebell Contributor

If you look up prilosec side effects, diarrhea is one of them.

It appears that you have not been gluten free very long. You need more time to heal. It will come.

I would eat before I went to the party or just bring my own snacks. Unfortunately, not everyone will get it. Some are willing to learn, but most are not.

It is overwhelming at first, give it a little time and it will become second nature for you.

Skylark Collaborator

Hi there. The new problems could be the prilosic. GERD is often caused by celiac, and doctors don't realize it.

I go to potlucks all the time. I always take a dish that I'm happy to eat for dinner by itself. I bring something like a lentil pilaf, a pot of chile, jambalaya, or some other complete meal and I set aside my own portion if people aren't eating when I arrive. If anything else that is naturally gluten-free like cheese or fruit shows up, I take a helping quickly, before it gets crumbs on it from the inevitable bread and crackers. If there are dips like guacamole or hummus, my friends are great about letting me know they're setting out a dip and to come put some on my plate if I want it.

Maryann10 Newbie

thanks everyone. as i'm so early in the game and i really want to avoid any mishaps, i'm eating before leaving, making mango salsa and bringing my own chips. i can keep my food separate. the host has been gracious about setting aside but i didn't even consider shared utensils in the kitchen etc.

thanks also for the info on the prilosec. i'm going to stop it tomorrow and see if it helps. i would rather reduce my GERD naturally as i've read there are soooo many side effects with the PPIs.

happy halloween! the time of year i'm grateful i'm not a big candy fiend!!!

Archived