Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jaymie Jaymz

Shipping A Specimen Back Lab.

I ordered a gluten sensitivity test from Enterolab and am ready to ship a sample back, but I have a question for those who have done it before. Is it okay for a stool specimen to be in the UPS drop box from morning until it gets picked up? That would probably be around 5pm in my area.

I just don't want to mess up the test, because they are expensive.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm sorry the idea of the specimen sitting in a UPS drop box all day kind of made me laugh. Just like it made me laugh when my specimen (different lab) came with $100 insurance on it.

Enterolab's website says you should receive instructions on how to mail it back. Did you get anything like that with the mailer they sent you?

"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

It's usually best if you can to leave the specimen refrigerated. I think most places would prefer that for as long as possible. Although, if you see something to the contrary on your instructions, you should certainly follow the instructions over what I said. I have not yet sent in a poop sample but I have brought one back to the hospital and in that case, they wanted it to be refrigerated before transport if I couldn't bring it in fresh.

That's okay, Shopgirl, my husband had plenty of jokes and laughs the first day I received the kit from the lab. There is an instruction sheet included, but it doesn't get that specific, about when to put it in the drop box. It just says drop it off on the day you want to ship back. I guess I'll push it back as late as I can. Don't want to miss the UPS truck, though.

Emilushka, the sample is frozen as they said to do in the instructions. It's to stay there until drop off day. It's just my OCD kicking in, wondering when is the perfect time to drop it off. lol.

Emilushka, the sample is frozen as they said to do in the instructions. It's to stay there until drop off day. It's just my OCD kicking in, wondering when is the perfect time to drop it off. lol.

Keep in mind that they try to write the instructions for idiots, which is obviously a club of which you are NOT a member. So I'm sure you'll do fine.

Good luck!