This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nonceliac Gluten Intolerance

enolah

enolah Rookie

We are assuming my oldest dd has nonceliac gluten intolerance. She had negative antibodies and a negative biopsy despite classic symptoms, DQ2 heterozygote genetic profile. She is now back on a gluten and dairy free diet after having broken the diet for nearly 3 months in order to undergo her biopsy.

She may be slightly better after two weeks on the diet. I understand in the case of celiac disease why it might take longer to heal, but if she really is "only" gluten intolerant, why would it take longer to feel better?

Does anybody know what the proposed mechanism is for non-celiac gluten intolerance? When no pathology is seen, it's hard to imagine why she would have symptoms.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

We are assuming my oldest dd has nonceliac gluten intolerance. She had negative antibodies and a negative biopsy despite classic symptoms, DQ2 heterozygote genetic profile. She is now back on a gluten and dairy free diet after having broken the diet for nearly 3 months in order to undergo her biopsy.

She may be slightly better after two weeks on the diet. I understand in the case of celiac disease why it might take longer to heal, but if she really is "only" gluten intolerant, why would it take longer to feel better?

Does anybody know what the proposed mechanism is for non-celiac gluten intolerance? When no pathology is seen, it's hard to imagine why she would have symptoms.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I too am interested in seeing what other folks here have to say about this subject since I have members of my family who are gluten intolerant but not testable, as well as those who are officially celiac.

There is so much our scientific community has not yet researched adequately concerning this subject of gluten intolerance. In addition, there are many different degrees of sensitivity.

It also may be that you caught it in the early stages before a lot of damage to the villi could be found in the biopsy. It often is difficult to find the damaged area(s). If she does better without gluten and suffers from ingesting gluten (and even has symptoms from being cross contaminated with gluten) like someone who has celiac, I would treat her condition just like celiac. Many folks here on this site are in the same camp as that.

According to the book DANGEROUS GRAINS by Braly and Hoggan, gluten isn't fully digested by anyone. It also can precipitate a variety of degenerative diseases, including autoimmune responses such as celiac.

Bea

kwylee Apprentice

I do not have celiac disease but have tested gluten and casein intolerant. I also had to remove soy of any kind. Now more than 6 months into having eliminated all of these, I feel fantastic - as long as I do not accidentally cross contaminate. I have read about the possibility that I'll be able to add casein and soy back in time (never will be able to ingest gluten again but it's a fair trade for how good I feel and think).

I read such varied stories on this forum and others. There are some who feel that if you are gluten intolerant you must have Celiac disease, but I think that is a fallacy. Research seems to be slow in this area, I suppose it is because the only cure isn't an expensive drug, but elimination. I do think the previous poster hit the nail on the head, that everyone has problems with gluten. Age, and to what extent the body in intolerant, may be key factors in the severity (and wide range) of symptoms, and the time it takes for the body to get back to normal. And that's what the body wants to do. In my case, it took a couple of months after eliminating the offenders, to feel much better.

Archived