Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adab8ca

True Conversation With My Sister

I have 2 sisters. One sister (who I will call sister #1)goes to EXTREME measures to ensure I can eat anything that she serves or CLEARLY warns me. Uses parchment paper on cooking pans, on her cutting board, totally "gets" it.

My other sister (called sister #2) is a vegetarian, thinks she has issues with gluten but will not get checked because she loves bread too much...Heavily into meditation, holistic stuff etc. Was at Sister #1's for dinner last night. Sister #2 made soup. I asked if the stock she used was gluten free,

Me: So, is this gluten free?

Her" Well, it's organic. It should be OK.

Me: OK, but is there any GLUTEN in it.

Her: I don't think most organic things have gluten in them.

Me, slumping over.

I was ready to just not eat it but she decides to call her husband so he can read her the label. She then give ME the phone to talk to him, so he thinks I am an attention grabbing jerk (well, probably not, he knows me). I would have been happy to not eat the soup OR if she just checked the label...People at work go to more trouble! We had a potluck and people were bringing in labels and extensively asking me what I can eat. One girl REMADE her meatballs because she used soy sauce and then read the labeland realized it was a no-go for me. They are all so NICE and accomodating and really want me to be able to partake!

I don't want special treatment, really. I don't expect people to stop cooking with gluten because of me. I just thought that with her health issues ( fibromyalgia, depressiom, anxiety, weight gain, stomach problems, hives_) she may just quickly check a label. For YEARS, every family dinner I have made extra vegetarian main courses for her, with pleasure. However, it does not seem to travel the same direction!

TTG >200 (normal <10)

IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)

IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)

Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy

Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010

Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

No the lengths we go to for others never is returned to the same extent.

Sister #2s Vegetarianism is voluntary but your gluten intolerance isn't. If you can go to the extent to accommodate her voluntary choice she can at least read the label on the stock so she could tell you if her soup would make you sick.

As for not wanting to get tested because she loves bread so much. Just tell her that she's missing out on some wonderful tasting foods.

I have 2 sisters. One sister (who I will call sister #1)goes to EXTREME measures to ensure I can eat anything that she serves or CLEARLY warns me. Uses parchment paper on cooking pans, on her cutting board, totally "gets" it.

My other sister (called sister #2) is a vegetarian, thinks she has issues with gluten but will not get checked because she loves bread too much...Heavily into meditation, holistic stuff etc. Was at Sister #1's for dinner last night. Sister #2 made soup. I asked if the stock she used was gluten free,

Me, slumping over.

I was ready to just not eat it but she decides to call her husband so he can read her the label. She then give ME the phone to talk to him, so he thinks I am an attention grabbing jerk (well, probably not, he knows me). I would have been happy to not eat the soup OR if she just checked the label...People at work go to more trouble! We had a potluck and people were bringing in labels and extensively asking me what I can eat. One girl REMADE her meatballs because she used soy sauce and then read the labeland realized it was a no-go for me. They are all so NICE and accomodating and really want me to be able to partake!

I don't want special treatment, really. I don't expect people to stop cooking with gluten because of me. I just thought that with her health issues ( fibromyalgia, depressiom, anxiety, weight gain, stomach problems, hives_) she may just quickly check a label. For YEARS, every family dinner I have made extra vegetarian main courses for her, with pleasure. However, it does not seem to travel the same direction!

Clearly sister # 2 does not understand the severity of how gluten affects us. Most supermarkets now have a Gluten Free Section. She can easily find broth there that is labeled gluten free (I think Pacific is one brand). In the future I would just politely pass on her soup. Another option is to offer to buy her the broth to use as the stock. Your health is far too important to have to worry about hurting her feelings. you have clearly worked had to provide her with food she could eat at holidays. Now it's her turn. I'm glad that sister#1 shows you the concern you deserve.

Loey

P.S. I'm posting a link to a doctor talking about celiac disease and the risks that eating something with gluten in it cause us. Perhaps you could show it to her before Christmas.

Yes, Pacific Natural Foods broths are gluten free, lists so right on the side of the container. Alternatively a lot cheaper and arguably better option is the Better than Bullion brand of dehydrated stocks. They can be found in most regular supermarkets, are very flavorful, make a lot of stock/jar and are all gluten free as well.

Receiving a qualified diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is as useful as a Psychiatrist giving you a diagnosis of "Doesn't Think Right".

Me, slumping over.

P.S. here are some more links that you might want to share with sister #2. Hope that it helps her to understand the importance of you not getting glutenized! BTW, the links below are more informative than the first post.

Loey