Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TrishMB18

Intro And Question

Hello all, my name is Trish and I have been dealing with lots of symptoms for some time, but have just recently started to undergo testing and changing my lifestyle. I'm still waiting on my DNA and food sensitivities tests to come back, but have done bloodwork/ stool tests and found a bevy of things wrong...including anemia, liver disfunction, adrenal disfunction, and a raging gut infection of both yeast and protozoan parasites. In light of all that I have undertaken eliminating gluten and dairy from my diet as of a week ago. I am very new to all of this and it seems pretty overwhelming at times.

My specific question is related to something new I've experienced seemingly since I changed my diet, and I am wondering if anyone experiences/ has experienced something similar. Every time I have an empty stomach (this is usually worst in the early morning when I start getting hungry for breakfast) I get EXTREME abdominal cramping. Not in my gut, in my stomach, like a twisting knife. It feels just like your typical peristalsis, you know, the "digesting" feeling, but just VERY painful...however, it's like my stomach doesn't know to "turn it off" and my smooth muscle continues to contract, hard, without anything being there. If I eat it typically goes away...but it'll come back as soon as I start to get a little hungry again. I just don't know what to make of it...I don't know if my body has been overcompensating for my bad diet for so long that it doesn't know any better, or what, but if anyone has any experience with this, remedies for it, timeline for it to go away...etc....please let me know.

Thanks for reading all that rambling!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Here's hoping that you can find your answers soon!

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with stomach cramping on an empty stomach, though.

Might it have anything to do with the yeast/protozoa? I know that if they don't get enough food (yeast), when it dies off, you can have a physical effect. I don't know if that involves cramping, however. Might be worth checking into, though.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

I think I know the feeling you are describing. I always used to say if my stomach got empty it felt like it was trying to digest itself. Funnily enough it doesn't happen overnight (when I am lying down), but during the day I find I have to keep some food on my stomach for it to work on, even just a tidbit, or I will get terrible stomach pains and actual stomach upset. I just solve it with eating little and often during the day. If I make the mistake of spending a day shopping and don't take snacks with me, and don't find a suitable place to eat, I end up in a pickle :o

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009