WIGirl

Should I Also Have My Igg Levels Tested?

Rate this topic

I have been having symptoms of a gluten intolerance/celiac disease for the past 6 months. I went gluten-free for a month, and felt significantly better. I went back on gluten, though, so that I could be tested for celiac and was eating it for about 2 months prior to my blood test. I just got my results:

-TISSUE TRANSGLUT. IGA - <3 (<5 = NEGATIVE, 5-8 = EQUIVOCAL, >8 = POSITIVE)

-IMMUNOGLOBULIN A - 183 (STANDAND RANGE = 81-463)

-GLIADIN ANTIBODY (IGA) - <3 (<5 = NEGATIVE, 5-8 = EQUIVOCAL, >8 = POSITIVE)

I asked my doctor whether my IgG levels should be tested, but she said that they don't include IgG levels in their celiac panel, and that because I have normal IgA, a positive IgG would not make them suspicious.

I just want to make sure that all of my bases have been covered--should I push for my IgG levels to be tested, or with these results, is celiac disease unlikely?

Thanks!

The fact that you felt significantly better on the diet is IMHO the best test there is. You could try to push for the Igg testing but do be aware that can be a false negative also. The bottom line is to go with what your body tells you. If being gluten free gets rid of your issues you really don't need a doctors permission to be gluten free.

• Upvote 1