fumbling mom

Link Between Celiac And Dairy Intolerance

Rate this topic

My son was recently diagnosed (blood test and biopsy confirmed) with Celiac. During the biopsy, they also drew blood to do additional testing re: other food allergies. Turns out he's also allergic to wheat, but the other tests like diary and corn were negative.

However, for several months he's had terrible headaches and a brain MRI found a sinus infection. I spoke with a life-long celiac today who immediately said "Dairy." If the medical test was negative, should I pursue this avenue with eliminating it as well? Just wondering what everyone knows about headaches and what suggestions you might have. He's on some powerful antibiotics so this is complicating improvement to his stomach issues. He's taking a probiotic....is there anything else we should do?

I know nothing about relationships between migraine and dairy, but if he is still having tummy issues then I would definitely withhold milk, perhaps all dairy, until he has had a chance to heal, because the lactose in milk is digested by the lactase enzyme which is produced at the tips of the villi which are damaged by gluten. Until these heal, he will not be producing a lot of the enzyme to digest milk and will likely have gas and diarrhea from it. This is totally independent from any allergy testing for dairy.

I know nothing about relationships between migraine and dairy, but if he is still having tummy issues then I would definitely withhold milk, perhaps all dairy, until he has had a chance to heal, because the lactose in milk is digested by the lactase enzyme which is produced at the tips of the villi which are damaged by gluten. Until these heal, he will not be producing a lot of the enzyme to digest milk and will likely have gas and diarrhea from it. This is totally independent from any allergy testing for dairy.

Thanks for the info! So much to learn.....