This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Systemic Yeast (Candida) With Celiac?

glutenjunkie

glutenjunkie Apprentice

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm on a quest for answers for so many issues I have had for so long and I think that this may be one of them and hoping to find people who know something about it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm on a quest for answers for so many issues I have had for so long and I think that this may be one of them and hoping to find people who know something about it.

There are a lot of people here who have this problem. No matter what, I am certain you can find support and info already in old posts if you do a search. There are various sites in addition that address anti systemic yeast protocols that can easily tie in with going off gluten.

What some do is go off grains for a while as well of course as sugars and heavy starch like potatoes. Taking pro-biotics and eating lots of veggies and, if you can handle them, garlic and onions, is a given.

Caprylic acid is good against candida assuming you can handle eating coconut. Pao de Arco is a good anti candida herbal remedy, as are things like olive leaf, black walnut and oregano oil.

Its helpful to be a meat eater since most of the grains will be a no no for a while. Eventually you should be able to tolerate eating some rice etc. but nothing bleached--and not in great quantities. Ditto with fruits, keep quantities down and emphasize things like berries, esp. frozen ones. And of course stay away from any and all sugars. Use stevia instead.

If you are lactose intolerant (as many here are) you might want to try making your own yogurt and ferment it 24 hours. It gets rid of all the lactose by doing that and is a great source of probiotics as well of course as something nice you can eat. It does not get rid of casein however of course. Some make fermented cabbage (using probiotics as a starter) instead.

Its good to try these anti candida protocols, however if they don't work consider investigating other possible causes for your distress as well. For instance, for me ironically what I thought was systemic candida was actually salicylic acid sensitivity (like what is in aspirin), so go figure. It creates itchy, crusty eczema like responses as well as a white tongue--plus it also negatively affects my nervous system, causes swelling and makes it so I can't sleep at night unless I take benedryl for the allergic like reaction.

Salicylic acid is a component of an awful lot of things since it acts as a protective barrier for many plants. Some of us are unfortunately are very sensitive to it. I have to avoid most fruits, most spices and many vegetables. The fruits I can have I have to peel. Ditto with many of the veggies... I still can't handle much sugar, and even then only rarely--which apparently is typical for this condition. Just goes to show how we are all different and how one condition can seem like another...

Bea

glutenjunkie Apprentice

That was a ton of great info- thank you! I have the white tongue, and I get unexplained rashes all over, quite frequently. They put me on Vistaril (like Benadryl) for it, but I despise medication that makes me feel sleepy or groggy, so I've stopped it and try and ride out the rashes. My daughter still gets exactly what you described, raised, crusty patches of skin that drive her nuts. I use bendryl cream because I'm unable to find the cause. (she is gluten-free) I know I need to have a food allergy panel done on her. I tried once with her ped last year and got back her titers instead.. so that didn't help with allergens.

I will do some searching for candida. Again, thank you!

There are a lot of people here who have this problem. No matter what, I am certain you can find support and info already in old posts if you do a search. There are various sites in addition that address anti systemic yeast protocols that can easily tie in with going off gluten.

What some do is go off grains for a while as well of course as sugars and heavy starch like potatoes. Taking pro-biotics and eating lots of veggies and, if you can handle them, garlic and onions, is a given.

Caprylic acid is good against candida assuming you can handle eating coconut. Pao de Arco is a good anti candida herbal remedy, as are things like olive leaf, black walnut and oregano oil.

Its helpful to be a meat eater since most of the grains will be a no no for a while. Eventually you should be able to tolerate eating some rice etc. but nothing bleached--and not in great quantities. Ditto with fruits, keep quantities down and emphasize things like berries, esp. frozen ones. And of course stay away from any and all sugars. Use stevia instead.

If you are lactose intolerant (as many here are) you might want to try making your own yogurt and ferment it 24 hours. It gets rid of all the lactose by doing that and is a great source of probiotics as well of course as something nice you can eat. It does not get rid of casein however of course. Some make fermented cabbage (using probiotics as a starter) instead.

Its good to try these anti candida protocols, however if they don't work consider investigating other possible causes for your distress as well. For instance, for me ironically what I thought was systemic candida was actually salicylic acid sensitivity (like what is in aspirin), so go figure. It creates itchy, crusty eczema like responses as well as a white tongue--plus it also negatively affects my nervous system, causes swelling and makes it so I can't sleep at night unless I take benedryl for the allergic like reaction.

Salicylic acid is a component of an awful lot of things since it acts as a protective barrier for many plants. Some of us are unfortunately are very sensitive to it. I have to avoid most fruits, most spices and many vegetables. The fruits I can have I have to peel. Ditto with many of the veggies... I still can't handle much sugar, and even then only rarely--which apparently is typical for this condition. Just goes to show how we are all different and how one condition can seem like another...

Bea

YoloGx Rookie

That was a ton of great info- thank you! I have the white tongue, and I get unexplained rashes all over, quite frequently. They put me on Vistaril (like Benadryl) for it, but I despise medication that makes me feel sleepy or groggy, so I've stopped it and try and ride out the rashes. My daughter still gets exactly what you described, raised, crusty patches of skin that drive her nuts. I use bendryl cream because I'm unable to find the cause. (she is gluten-free) I know I need to have a food allergy panel done on her. I tried once with her ped last year and got back her titers instead.. so that didn't help with allergens.

I will do some searching for candida. Again, thank you!

Oh wow--if the bendryl like vistaril actually works I would expect its not a yeast problem. Of course being off candida feeding stuff may help anyway. However-- for my friend who does have systemic yeast overgrowth problem the benedryl did nothing for him. Does taking baking soda cure some of your symptoms?? If so, I strongly advise you to look into this salicylic acid thing for both you and your daughter. My grandmother had it as does my eldest sister--who also has celiac. Its a bother but better than being itchy/crusty, trouble sleeping etc. all the time. There are websites that address the issue. Thing is, there are not actual tests for it. Its all trial and error. If you react badly to aspirin however that is a good indication. It helped me increase the things I could eat however so I am grateful. Plus now I am less itchy etc. and can sleep better overall though its hard to avoid salicylic acid entirely. Good hunting!

Bea

WheatChef Apprentice

Going full ketogenic diet does wonders for keeping candida at bay. When you're dealing with something that requires glucose to live (like candida) switching your body over to running off of just ketones will drastically cut down on the amount of candida allowed to grow in your system. The main way to get to this state is a diet 65+% of calories from fat and under 50g of carbs a day (preferentially under 30g). Getting the carbs down that low can be somewhat difficult for a lot of people who are used to eating in the normal sugar junkie mode but really once you cut out all fruit (ALL), all grains, all legumes and most starchy vegetables then you're inevitably down near the target limit.

The only problem with swapping over to the ketogenic diet is it causes MAJOR die off symptoms when you stop providing such an abundance of glucose to the candida so the first month will be a little touchy.

YoloGx Rookie

Going full ketogenic diet does wonders for keeping candida at bay. When you're dealing with something that requires glucose to live (like candida) switching your body over to running off of just ketones will drastically cut down on the amount of candida allowed to grow in your system. The main way to get to this state is a diet 65+% of calories from fat and under 50g of carbs a day (preferentially under 30g). Getting the carbs down that low can be somewhat difficult for a lot of people who are used to eating in the normal sugar junkie mode but really once you cut out all fruit (ALL), all grains, all legumes and most starchy vegetables then you're inevitably down near the target limit.

The only problem with swapping over to the ketogenic diet is it causes MAJOR die off symptoms when you stop providing such an abundance of glucose to the candida so the first month will be a little touchy.

Hi WheatChef! Its good to see your input here again.

You are so right. I went through some die off when I followed that no grain/no legume no winter squash etc. diet and it helped somewhat. However, despite being on that diet for quite some time, I still continued to have symptoms due to my reaction to salicylic acid (which actually got even worse since I was eating more salicylic acid foods)--which I didn't know I was reacting to until fairly recently.

However for my friend the ketogenic diet has been helping him immensely--that and being off all casein--though he still can't handle as massive amount of oils as you suggest. If he goes overboard with the oils it seems to mess him up. He has to have a high amount of cooked veggies due to his delicate digestive system (he's of English descent). Nevertheless the diet is even helping his toenail fungus go away. What I wonder though is how long someone who truly has systemic candida needs to be off all grains, winter squash, all fruit etc.

Bea

Archived