Buffheart

Reaction To Bad Fats/stress Exacerbating Symptoms?

Rate this topic

I am going to combine two of my questions in one post.

1. Does anybody have adverse reactions to bad fats? I don't know what all the bad fats are, but I find a lot of things that have a lot of grease will make me bloated and give me stomach cramps. For example most of the time I cannot eat: potato chips (unless they aren't fried), sometimes corn/tortilla chips, fried foods, sometimes pizza, sometimes hamburgers/cheese burgers, salad dressings, cream based sauces, and some other things I can't think of. Why is this? Do other people have reactions to these foods?

2. Does stress make your symptoms worse? I am a very nervous eater and no longer eat out because even something like a salad (with no dressing) will make me bloated and hurt my stomach. I worked at a summer camp a few months ago. It was about 3 months long, and after every meal I ate there I would get bloated and very painful stomach cramps to the point that standing hurt and I just wanted to curl up in a ball. I was popping Tums like there was no tomorrow. Even after cutting out greasy foods this still happens. The above listed foods don't give me as much trouble when I am at home and can eat in my room. Does anybody have reactions if they eat when nervous/stressed?

In my experience, stress makes everything worse. Particularly constant, long term "fight or flight" stress. Stress has given me all kinds of stomach and GI issues. It's made my hair shed like a cat. It's made my fingernails stop growing. It's made my skin dry. It's given me migraines and muscle tightness. It's even given me hives. I'm better at battling the stress demons but I still need to force myself to relax sometimes.

But how can I get the tummy troubles (when eating out) even by simple things, like a piece of fruit or small non-dressing salad?

Are you eating out at places that are celiac-aware? As in, perhaps you're getting cross-contaminated? Also, iceburg lettuce in particular is not easy to digest. But if you're okay eating them at home in your room, I might suspect cross-contamination. I am a nervous person in general, and I find that if I eat too quickly that I get GI symptoms as well. Sometimes just stress in general will give me an upset stomach, but I do find it helpful to really pay attention to my food, chew it really well, and eat a little slower.

I used to think that bad fats made me sick, but now that I had a positive blood test, I know that it was things that were breaded, ie. gluten, and not necessarily the fact that they were deep-fried. I've only been gluten-free for a short while, though, and am on a whole foods elimination-type diet, so I haven't had anything greasy, really. If you're still healing, it might be too much on your system.

I'm not sure any of that was particularly helpful, I hope someone else will have some better answers for you.

I haven't been out to eat for months and at that time I didn't know that I should be totally gluten free.