Jatango

Can Gliadin Antibodies Cause False Neg. On Other Food Allergy Tests?

Rate this topic

A few years ago, a doc drew a blood allergy panel on me. It did have a good reference IGE range and I AM allergic to all the environmentals listed. Now for the WTH moment:

Corn IGE - 0.67 H Class 1H*

Soybean - 0.58 H Same

Wheat - 0.68 H Same

Peanut - 0.66 H Same

Class 1 (0.35-0.70) Low Level

Class 2 (0.71-3.50) Moderate Level

The doc didn't seem concerned, but he wasn't the brightest bulb either. Can anyone interpret this in any kind of meaningful way!?

Thanks!

You mean your antigliadin IgA test (which you did not list here but mention in the heading) could have caused your IgE tests to come back in the grey zone?

I do not think IgE has anything to do with IgA.

I do not think IgE has anything to do with gliadin IgA.

I don't think it IgA and IgE affect each other either, but I'm not an expert.

http://www.scienceclarified.com/Al-As/Antibody-and-Antigen.html#ixzz1Gzr94Dp0

There are five antibody isotypes known as IgA, IgD, IgE, IgG and IgM.

IgA antibodies are present in tears, saliva, and mucus, as well as in secretions of the respiratory, reproductive, digestive, and urinary tracts. IgA functions to neutralize bacteria and viruses and prevent them from entering the body or reaching the internal organs.

IgE antibodies are present in tiny amounts in serum (the watery part of body fluids) and are responsible for allergic reactions. IgE can bind to the surface of certain cells called mast cells, which contain strong chemicals, including histamine. (Histamines are substances released during an allergic reaction. They cause capillaries to dilate, muscles to contract, and gastric juices to be secreted.) When an allergen such as pollen binds with its specific IgE antibody, it stimulates the release of histamine from the mast cell. The irritating histamine causes the symptoms of an allergic reaction, such as runny nose, sneezing, and swollen tissues.

Don't know if this helps, but its a source to reference, if you're curious. B)

• Upvote 1

Okay, that makes more sense. What does it really mean for me to have a low grade reaction like that to ALL of those things? Lord am I glad milk came back okay. I may be eating meat, veg and cheese for the rest of my life...doesn't sound so horrible actually! Does a wheat IGE have any correlation to celiac?

No, wheat IgE has little to do with celiac, but some have both.

Okay, that makes more sense. What does it really mean for me to have a low grade reaction like that to ALL of those things? Lord am I glad milk came back okay. I may be eating meat, veg and cheese for the rest of my life...doesn't sound so horrible actually! Does a wheat IGE have any correlation to celiac?

Allergy to wheat and intolerance to gluten are two entirely different animals. You can have zero wheat allergy and be gluten intolerant or celiac. You can also be allergic to wheat and be celiac or gluten intolerant. :) And, yeah that doesn't sound all that bad, at least you can have cheese! I'm jealous!