Mothering3

No Bowel Symptoms

Rate this topic

So I just got diagnosed through a positive blood test. I have had no bowel symptoms, but did have nausea and vomiting which I think was secondary to liver problems being caused by my celiac disease.

I am wondering, from other people who do not have bowel symptoms or like me have relatively "silent celiac's", how do you keep yourself safe? I know other people with celiac who get D every time they get accidental exposure. While I do not envy this symptom, it seems like it is handy in the sense that THEY KNOW.

I wonder, if I don't have that symptom does it mean that I will not have to worry as much about CC/small accidental exposure, or do I need to be even MORE hypervigilant because I could be being poisoned without my knowledge? Will it still be ravaging my gut, even if I don't notice? Or is the CC/tiny occasional exposure unlikely to do serious damage if I cannot feel it? I am interested in people's opinions and experiences with this.

Jade

My family had four of us who didn't - that we knew of - get any symptoms when we ate gluten. After being gluten free for a few days to a few months, all of us slowly began to have symptoms when we get glutened. That happens to a lot of people, but not all.

Unfortunately, symptoms, or lack thereof, don't seem to correlate with the damage done, so yeah, I'd be vigilant.

My daughter gets emotional symptoms within a few hours that are very intense - massive crying bouts and anxiety/panic attacks. Both of us don't sleep well. If I get gluten multiple times in a row, I start to develop severe depression. I get vertigo issues, my daughter started having stomach pain eventually. No gut pain or the big D for me, though.

You may find the same - I would keep a food journal, at first, tracking what you eat, and how you feel emotionally and physically. It'll help track down any symptom you have, if it develops.

If you never develop any symptoms, however, again, yes, I would be more vigilant when you eat, and more vigilant about testing once a year or so to make sure your body is healing and all right, you know?

• Upvote 1

As a silent celiac (absolutely nothing happens when I ingest gluten) I can say it is extremely tough. Perhaps when I am gluten-free for longer (have been gluten-free 5 or 6 weeks with the exception of accidental glutening a couple of times, though I couldn't tell physically) I will have noticeable reactions. My husband and I were away for a few days (a romantic birthday celebration - my husband spoils me to bits!) and ate out at wonderful places. I have no idea whether I've been glutened. I was as cautious as possible, contacting the restaurants in advance to discuss my diet, etc. I don't eat out very often at all because I just have difficulty trusting places. Cooking and baking are amongst my passsions so I do not find diligence at home very difficult.

Make sure to email or call re labels. I've been doing this for everything we have that is processed (which isn't much but still). I was told that one product I did have a couple of times WAS indeed gluten-free but found out two days later it is no longer (via email from company). Thank goodness I contacted them or I would have had no clue.

I have become far more assertive than I was before (you have to especially when eating out) and question everything that goes into my mouth. It is challenging but it can be done. I will be getting tested regularly, too, to see whether anything accidental is slipping in somehow.

Make sure things like vitamins and prescription meds are gluten-free (I had to change my vitamin brands).

My attitude has changed vastly over the last few weeks - at first I was angry, hurt and grieving (and I am sure I still will from time to time). As a major foodie I was wondering why it would happen to me?? But then I came to terms with it and am having fun experimenting in the kitchen. Each morning my husband reminds me of how incredibly blessed we are which is very true. Perspective is huge! :D

• Upvote 1