PattyBoots

How Do You Get Your Spouse On Board?

Rate this topic

Hubby loves me; this I know. But, he's not especially educated and so doesn't understand the need for COMPLETE adherence to the diet. He doesn't "get" that I don't want to (forgive me) slap tongues with him after he's been drinking beer. He's all for me feeling better, but doesn't understand "just a little bit won't hurt you" WILL. I intend to try to get him to go to my next doctor appt. since that weight will count for more than his perception that "She's on ANOTHER diet." He doesn't get my thyroid issues either, but that's a whole 'nother post.

Hubby loves me; this I know. But, he's not especially educated and so doesn't understand the need for COMPLETE adherence to the diet. He doesn't "get" that I don't want to (forgive me) slap tongues with him after he's been drinking beer. He's all for me feeling better, but doesn't understand "just a little bit won't hurt you" WILL. I intend to try to get him to go to my next doctor appt. since that weight will count for more than his perception that "She's on ANOTHER diet." He doesn't get my thyroid issues either, but that's a whole 'nother post.

I thought my husband would be the same way, I borrowed the book, The G Diet I think it was called, by Elizabeth Hasselback and she explains everything in the book, even cross-contamination. I am a Rn and I had never even had a patient with Celiac, I heard about it in school but never had any experience with it, this book helped so much. My husband knows he has to brush his teeth, before a kiss. It is odd to get used to. It is a totally different lifestyle, now if we go out he is telling the bartender, make sure her glass did not come from the draft beer area.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but education doesn't mean he's not smart. It also doesn't mean he doesn't love you. What it does mean is that he doesn't want to change. And quite honestly, he doesn't need to take you seriously -- you simply need to set the boundaries and make your health paramount. If you do, he'll get the hint. If he wants to kiss you, then he won't drink beer or he'll wait until after he's thoroughly cleansed himself to try. But you take it seriously first, and insist on what helps keep you healthy. If he's a good guy, which he probably is, he'll follow your lead.