missj

Appointment On Thursday

Rate this topic

I have my appointment on Thursday morning, so I am hoping I get a bright, fresh and REASONABLE doc. But just in case I don't get what I am hoping for, I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. Right now my plan is:

Ask for genetic testing first, so I A) don't have to do a gluten challenge right away and B)it gives me some information that may help my mom, who despite having her colon removed (because of supposed UC) is still having lots of problems. We looked through her med records and from what we could find none of her docs ever looked at Celiac as an option, even though many of her symptoms matched it.

I have decided that no matter what, I do want the scopes, just so I can rule out anything serious. I don't really believe in invasive testing if it can be avoided but I think that in this case it will put my mind at ease regarding UC, Crohns and other things. I will be doing a GC before this happens and I will do both the colonoscopy and endoscopy.

My question to you all fine people is, do you have any advice if she starts telling me that there is no way I could have it? Do you think it would be a good idea to print off some research articles to take with me or should I just be pushy? I don't want to look like a hypochodriac or one of those people who go to the doc for attention. I asked her the last time "why do you say that?" And her response was "just from the tests", which I only had a Ttg, IgG and IgA done all while gluten lite. She acted like it didn't mean anything that I was GL at the time or that she didn't believe me.

I know I can't let the nerves get to me and that I just need to do whats right for me, no matter how pushy I need to be but I sure could use a confidence boost before I head in there!

Thanks guys for being so great and supportive. Other than a few homeopathic friends I have, you guys are the only ones who get it.

I have my appointment on Thursday morning, so I am hoping I get a bright, fresh and REASONABLE doc. But just in case I don't get what I am hoping for, I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. Right now my plan is:

Ask for genetic testing first, so I A) don't have to do a gluten challenge right away and B)it gives me some information that may help my mom, who despite having her colon removed (because of supposed UC) is still having lots of problems. We looked through her med records and from what we could find none of her docs ever looked at Celiac as an option, even though many of her symptoms matched it.

I have decided that no matter what, I do want the scopes, just so I can rule out anything serious. I don't really believe in invasive testing if it can be avoided but I think that in this case it will put my mind at ease regarding UC, Crohns and other things. I will be doing a GC before this happens and I will do both the colonoscopy and endoscopy.

My question to you all fine people is, do you have any advice if she starts telling me that there is no way I could have it? Do you think it would be a good idea to print off some research articles to take with me or should I just be pushy? I don't want to look like a hypochodriac or one of those people who go to the doc for attention. I asked her the last time "why do you say that?" And her response was "just from the tests", which I only had a Ttg, IgG and IgA done all while gluten lite. She acted like it didn't mean anything that I was GL at the time or that she didn't believe me.

I know I can't let the nerves get to me and that I just need to do whats right for me, no matter how pushy I need to be but I sure could use a confidence boost before I head in there!

Thanks guys for being so great and supportive. Other than a few homeopathic friends I have, you guys are the only ones who get it.

I think its a great idea for you to take some solid research from a well respected medical research team or journal, specifically if it relates to you and your symptoms. I made a list (sort of a timeline) of all my symptoms over the years, and took that with me. That way I didn't forget things that were important, and it kept me on track. The first idiot I saw, didn't care... my efforts were pointless, so he lost the gig.

I found a better doctor who DID listen and was interested in all that I had to say. He also asked me many questions, explained a few things (that I already knew from my endless research...but nice to know he was willing to tell me). If you go to Mayo Clinic's site and type in celiac, you will find a list of things you should ask your doctor, and things your doctor should ask you. That would be very helpful as well, at least for you to look over before you go. ;) Good luck! I hope you end up with a fantastic doctor, who knows what this is all about.