arabookworm

Why Am I So Hungry?

Rate this topic

Hi

I just started the gluten-free diet yesterday because even though I came up negative on the blood test, my symptoms are so indicative of celiac (diarrhea, constipation, nausea, gas, fatigue, malabsorbtion, gas) that we decided I'd try the diet anyway and see if it helped. but now my problem is that none of the foods I am eating are filling. within an hour or two of eating, I'm always ravenously hungry again.

It's because you're actually digesting now! So it's moving through you and being absorbed and your body can actually use it and wants more.

Eat as often as you need to and listen to your body.

Being hungry is not uncommon when starting the gluten-free diet. You need to increase your protein to help with the hunger. If you can tolerate eggs, this is a good protein choice. If not, increase meat, chicken, nut butters and cheese if tolerated. The hunger will subside.

Fish and seafood is also a good source of protein and good fats (which also helps satiate). I eat canned salmon, sardines, and tuna alla time.

Hi

I just started the gluten-free diet yesterday because even though I came up negative on the blood test, my symptoms are so indicative of celiac (diarrhea, constipation, nausea, gas, fatigue, malabsorbtion, gas) that we decided I'd try the diet anyway and see if it helped. but now my problem is that none of the foods I am eating are filling. within an hour or two of eating, I'm always ravenously hungry again.

before i ever knew about gluten and went 100% gluten free, i first experienced this when i first went on the Atkins Diet 12 years ago. i went hardcore- NO grains or starches, no sugar, even no fruit for months. i was starved & tired for about 3 days... then it went away and i started to feel fantastic.

off and on over the years, i went back and forth with the wheat.... i noticed that when i was regularly consuming wheat/gluten, i was HUNGRY & FULL & BLOATED 24/7... it wasnt untill i got rid of the gluten and heavy carbs, that i actually felt a REAL Hunger & a real satiety.

you're going to feel great soon, promise... its just strange in the beginning... and your body is going thru kind of a withdrawal.

that being said.... not everyone should eat a no carb diet- so, as long as you are gluten free-> just make sure you are eating what works for u- eat lots of WHOLE foods... less packaged stuff.

good luck.. try to get some healthy fats in there to satisfy your body

Glad to know I'm not alone in this! I went gluten-free almost a week ago, and I'm so hungry all the time! I'm eating a lot of fruit, quinoa, nut butters, and good quality foods. I do need to find a way to up my protein intake because I'm out of the house a lot and can only cook in the mornings (I think I may be lactose intolerant, as well, so I'm trying to stay away from dairy). But being hungry is a nice change from being nauseous all the time :)

Glad to know I'm not alone in this! I went gluten-free almost a week ago, and I'm so hungry all the time! I'm eating a lot of fruit, quinoa, nut butters, and good quality foods. I do need to find a way to up my protein intake because I'm out of the house a lot and can only cook in the mornings (I think I may be lactose intolerant, as well, so I'm trying to stay away from dairy). But being hungry is a nice change from being nauseous all the time :)

I don't know... I managed to be nauseated and ravenously hungry at the same time. then I'd eat and immediately regret it. so the hunger isn't new, but the greatly decreased nausea is a nice change.

For the first two months or so I had at least one protein bar or shake each day. They really helped during those mid-day slumps when I didn't have enough time between classes to cook. I had to drop most of them because I started to have trouble with soy, but they got me through the worst of that first phase. Boost does contain milk, but they are able to remove the lactose. EAS is also lactose free (lots of soy though). Clif bars were also my best friend though you'll want to be careful of those if you're really sensitive (the old "may contain traces of..." line).