JenHarris

Confused, Frustrated- Lactose Intolerance Test Not Done Right?

Rate this topic

I'm so frustrated. I went in for my lactose intolerance test (hydrogen breath test) and it was nothing like I expected. Everywhere I'd read about procedure, I was supposed to drink 12 oz. of whole milk 3 hours before the test, go in and be given a challenge dose of lactose, the subsequently blow into the breath machine every 15-30 minutes for 3 hours following. I go in, fully expecting to sit for 3 hours for thorough testing. They take me back into the room, the nurse hands me the machine (not even mentioning a challenge dose) and says 'blow'. I blew once. She said I was negative, and that I could go?! WTHeck?

Is this common practice now? Or should I go to someone else who will do a more thorough test? The crazy thing is that I was on the verge of throwing up from the milk on my empty stomach and now I'm cramping. Can I just be lactose sensitive without it showing up in this test?

All I want at this point is some sort of diagnosis of my problems and I'm just becoming more and more frustrated. How in the world can I have Fibromyalgia, CFS, IBS, GERD, Asthma, and Vitamin deficiencies and it not all be connected somehow medically? I'm sick and tired of doctors saying that it 'must be due to stress'. That is not a good enough answer for me anymore.

I read back a ways and you are still waiting for blood results and a possible endoscopy to schedule for you, right?

I am a fly on the wall... :huh: I would love to see you just go gluten free. I know that would screw up the biopsy if you need one but... this story is so familiar. Symptoms and distress, doctors and tests that say "You are fine... everything is normal."

It happens over and over.. :(

If it were me...(and it's not) I would just quit eating gluten and dairy...

"LACTASE, which is the enzyme that breaks down the sugar lactose, is produced in the tip of the villi. When the villi get blunted in celiac disease, sometimes the ability to digest lactose is decreased and you can become lactose intolerant. This may cause bloating, stomach cramps, diarrhea, etc."...Danna Korn. "Living Gluten Free for Dummies".

I've been gluten free for most of this week and dairy-free for the last three days. I can't tell you how much better I feel! I was commenting to my husband that this is the first time I can truly say I've gone all day without stomach distress of some type (GERD or IBS-like symptoms). My stomach has been completely content all day. I'm not bloated. I've had tons of energy today, (which is not the norm for me). It's freaking awesome.

Now I'm just curious to see what my celiac panel shows. One thing's for certain. No matter what it shows, I'm continuing a Gluten-free lifestyle.