Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Libbyk

Gf Pastry

Guest Libbyk

OK- so my VERY favorite magazine in the world is Cook's Illustrated. It is a test kitchen, where they try out countless variations on recipes, both complex and basic, to make them perfect. This months issue had articles on brownies, which I am excited to try out (with a four substitution of course.) I think it should transfer well.

But it ALSO had an article on baklava, a very favorite, special special treat for me. I was practically drooling on the page. :( But I think phyllo dough (or frozen pastry, however it is described) is an inherently "wheat-y"' product.

So, the Big Question:

Has anybody seen, heard of, or tried making gluten-free phyllo dough? Do you think it is possible? Can you even make the normal kind? Or does it have to be bought?

thanks for any and all input herre. I have a need to bake.

Libby

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Libby,

Phyllo dough is SO incredibly thin that I seriously doubt a gluten-free version is even possible! Even regular phyllo takes so much time and effort to make that it really isn't worth it for most people.

A baklava substitute is one of those things that have been floating around in the back of my mind. I'll post the recipe if I ever come up with one!

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

I’m at kind of a loss here. My 6 year olds tTg IgA was >250 but his GI says his biopsy was negative. Has any had this happen? We made sure he was eating gluten up until the procedure. The Doctor says a gluten free diet may still be beneficial. ...
    Hi JesLin! How was your trip? did you do well with the gluten free issue? I'm thinking in a trip to Nepal and Tibet also and I'm a little worry about the Tibet part. Could you please give me some advices? Thanks! Lorena ...
    My daughter has Celiac disease and has been using a Nina sensor for the past two and a half years. I am a huge supporter of the sensor and feel like it has made a big difference in my daughter’s quality of life, and has certainly saved her f...