Scphotomom

Going Through All The Testing..,

Rate this topic

I am 31 years old and I'm not really sure how long I have been having bowel issues. I know at least since I was 25 or 26 I have had episodes where I would cramp with unbelievable pain and have diarrhea. I've also had years of feeling a gnawing in the pit of my stomach that I wasn't sure if it was hunger pain or digestion. I was also diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when i was 9 years old and hypothyroidism when i was 23.

About four months ago I had a baby and five days after his birth began having bloody stools accompanied with rotating bouts of constipation and diarrhea.

I had a catscan done and it showed an enlarged liver, spleen and a thickened rectal lining.

Little more history, about 6 months ago my mom began presenting with constipation, lethargy, hives, nauseousness and upon examination an enlarged liver. Doctors decided hers was viral and put her on prednisone and a laxative to control symptoms.

I see a doctor who tells me I have ulcerative colitis and NASH, just by looking at my chart. He dismissed any correlation between mine and my moms symptoms. Told me my issue was I was just obese with a bad diet. Im actually pretty health concious when it comes to food, just consume more calories than I burn off so I dont see how diet caused this.

Saw a second doctor last week who is running a liver enzyme test as well as checking my stool sample. Will do a colonoscopy based on the results of those test

My cousins girlfriend said she had been watching my symptoms on Facebook and said she has celiacs disease and a lot of the things I talk about remind her of that. She sent me a list of symptoms, associated diseases and complications

I had almost all of them and some of the associated diseases.

Tingling in my hands and feet

unexplained Anemia

Bone and joint pain

Infertility

Fatigue

Depression

Anxiety

Diarrhea

Bloating

Gas

Migraines

Just to name a few

Can celiacs cause ulcerative colitis? Would it cause the gnawing in my stomach? Liver spleen issues?

Sadly, my four month old breastfed son seems to be effected the same way by the things I eat.

Little more history, about 6 months ago my mom began presenting with constipation, lethargy, hives, nauseousness and upon examination an enlarged liver. Doctors decided hers was viral and put her on prednisone and a laxative to control symptoms.

I see a doctor who tells me I have ulcerative colitis and NASH, just by looking at my chart. He dismissed any correlation between mine and my moms symptoms. Told me my issue was I was just obese with a bad diet. Im actually pretty health concious when it comes to food, just consume more calories than I burn off so I dont see how diet caused this.

Do you by any chance share a home with your mother? It occurred to me that it might be something environmental... Chemicals, toxic mold or something of that nature perhaps. Maybe even something in the fridge that has been contaminated with bacteria or household cleaners. I have no medical training whatsoever though, it's just an idea. In either case it is not surprising that your baby is affected, as many chemicals and even antibodies pass from breast milk to the baby. If it IS an allergy, your baby might still get sick from it even if he is not allergic himself... but I think that puts him at higher risk for developing an allergy, if I am not mistaken.

Anyway I hope you get some answers quickly so you and your family can start feeling better and be safe.

No, we do not live together and very seldom see each other.

I was seen by a new doctor who took a fecal sample and did more blood work. He said I do have a fatty liver. But the stomach problems, not so sure whats causing them. He is going to do a colonoscopy as well as the test that goes through the top and checks for Celiacs