sreese68

Daughter's Gluten Challenge - 4 Days No Reaction So Far!

Rate this topic

My 12yo daughter's been gluten free for about 8 or 9 weeks now. (well, up until Saturday) We were wondering if her migraines were caused or made worse by gluten. She's had gluten 2 to 3 times a day for 4 days now and no reaction so far. She's had McDonald's chicken nuggets, Gatti's pizza, Subway sandwich, favorite bread, etc. I told her to get her favorites in case she reacts and can't ever have them again. Should we have her eat gluten another few days just to be sure? Or does it sound like she's dodged celiac for now? Oh, with her cycle, she's due for a migraine in a few days, so maybe we should hold off celebrating until then.

Our household is gluten-free, and I appear to be very sensitive, so she's eating her treats picnic-style outside.

When I went on my gluten challenge for nearly 4 months I felt very good! Absolutely NO obvious reactions at all. I actually quite enjoyed eating my favourite foods once again. But there was no doubt on my biopsies that I have celiac disease. I had such high hopes that I didn't have it because I felt so great! :huh:

So, your daughter may still have celiac disease or gluten intolerance - it is definitely possible. Will she be having further testing?

When I went on my gluten challenge for nearly 4 months I felt very good! Absolutely NO obvious reactions at all. I actually quite enjoyed eating my favourite foods once again. But there was no doubt on my biopsies that I have celiac disease. I had such high hopes that I didn't have it because I felt so great! :huh:

So, your daughter may still have celiac disease or gluten intolerance - it is definitely possible. Will she be having further testing?

That's a good point. Hadn't thought of silent celiac. I'll talk to my husband about my daughter continuing on daily gluten for several weeks and then getting blood work. Thing is, my bloodwork was negative, which I understand is common for those with primarily neuro symptoms. I just wonder if my kids would also have false negatives

That's a good point. Hadn't thought of silent celiac. I'll talk to my husband about my daughter continuing on daily gluten for several weeks and then getting blood work. Thing is, my bloodwork was negative, which I understand is common for those with primarily neuro symptoms. I just wonder if my kids would also have false negatives