Rate this topic

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and would appreciate a little guidance. Thanks in advance. After 60 years in this body, something is starting to make some sense. I have finally found a doctor who is willing to seek an answer with whatever means available, however, I didn't fit the celiac disease profile...I'm obese! Now to my problem. I have been gluten-free for 3 months now, but I am concerned as to whether I should be on or off gluten before the test is done. I was told to remain on the gluten-free diet? but, if I am gluten free, how will that affect the test? I have asked at the lab as well as at the doctor;s office. Help!

You MUST be eating gluten for all celiac testing. Three months gluten-free is long enough to have a completely negative celiac panel. You need to go back to eating a full gluten diet for at least two months to have a chance of positive test results. I hope it works out for you!

I was told I must ingest at least the equivalent of four pieces of bread per day for three months prior to my gastroscopy and colonoscopy (went with the colonoscopy to rule out other things at the same time). Since I did/do not have GI symptoms I actually quite enjoyed eating gluten again. I made myself an exhaustive list of things to eat for my last hurrah!

The vast amount of false information out there is staggering - even (especially?) from the medical community! As far as fitting the celiac profile I did/do not fit, either. My doctor was as shocked as I was to find I had celiac (my bloodwork was overwhelmingly positive and my sister has gluten intolerance).

Welcome here! :)