smsm

Sourdough Bread And Bread Machine ?

Rate this topic

I really miss sourdough bread - anyone have a (simple!) recipe? I don't have a bread machine but I am wondering if I need to buy one? If you have one, how often do you use it? Is it worth it to have your own - does it taste better than the premade? I am not wild about the premade I have tried but my children will eat it occasionally. I have tried to find premade sourdough bread and I can't.

I really miss sourdough bread - anyone have a (simple!) recipe? I don't have a bread machine but I am wondering if I need to buy one? If you have one, how often do you use it? Is it worth it to have your own - does it taste better than the premade? I am not wild about the premade I have tried but my children will eat it occasionally. I have tried to find premade sourdough bread and I can't.

I had an unused bread machine from back before I went gluten-free, and I used it extensively when I first went gluten-free (I had a particularly nasty store-bought bread first and decided I should be making bread at home). I haven't used it in a long time because I have switched to bread recipes that I bake in the oven instead..

Speaking of one of those recipes, Pamela's has a recipe for a crispy french bread loaf here: http://www.pamelasproducts.com/recipe/CrispyFrenchBreadLoaf/271.aspx It uses vinegar to create a slightly sour taste--it's not like "real" sourdough (I'm from CA, so I grew up on San Francisco style sourdough) but it's a lot easier because you don't need a starter. And with the mix, it really doesn't take long.

I'm sure someone else has other recipes for real sourdough.. I planned to make some but still haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe I will try within the next few weeks, and if so, I'll let you know how it goes (and how hard it is)!