pouncer

Worsening Of Symptoms

Rate this topic

Hi guys,

I've had chronic fatigue and pain issues for years and a wee bit of GI symptoms (bloating, gassy, abdominal pain) that I noticed occured when I ate lots of bready/biscuity type food within a short period of time. I have been tested for Celiacs (antibody blood test) but that came back negative. I was gluten-free briefly (about 6 weeks) last year but didn't notice a significant amount of improvement so went back to a normal diet. After about a week, my pain levels shot up but I attributed that to the Fibromyalgia flaring up.

Earlier this year, I went gluten and dairy free and took a wide range of supplements. I was gluten-free & DF for 4.5 months. I still did get the odd tummy ache but I noticed my pain levels were more managable. Recently, I travelled to Asia where it's difficult to be gluten-free so I ate everything that was put my way. I was again, fine for about the 1st week but by the end of the 1st week, I started to get GI symptoms (bloating, gassy, pain) but these were a lot worse than what I normally get. The pain is has been getting worse in the last week, despite me returning to a gluten-free diet for the last couple of days.

I believe I'm somewhat intolerant to gluten. My question is, is it possible that symptoms can become worse upon "re-ingesting" gluten after a long period of being gluten-free??

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks

Yes, it would be expected that symptoms become worse if you are intolerant. I would suggest experimenting by eliminating other foods like soy, eggs, nightshades, and so on until symptoms fully resolve.