Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue after a scope with biopsy a month ago. I immediately stopped eating gluten. Almost immidiately the stinging pain in my belly and reflux after eating stopped.

Two weeks into the new diet I started getting a dizzy feeling. It seemed each day it got worse. Sometimes I got the stinging pain again too.

I started keeping a log of what I'm eating and any reactions I get. It's hard with delayed reactions possible and lingering effects thrown into the mix.

I ate a soy yogurt because I was advised to stay away from dairy at first, and got strong symptoms.

I drank Almond milk and got strong symptoms.

Yesterday I ate caramel flavored rice cakes and got the stinging in my belly, a headache, ear ache, and so dizzy it made me nauseated. We were away from home at the time and I just wanted to lay down but couldn't. I felt like everything was on a slant.

I went back through my log and read the ingedient list on the products I still have.

I'm noticing soy lethicin is in all of the things that I had strong reactions to.

So...I wanted chocolate last night..and it had soy lethicin too!

I'm wondering if that could be the thing that's causing me problems? If I'm reacting to that should I be sure to omit ALL soy from my diet? Are there "sneaky names" for soy too?

I'm scheduled for allergy testing (on the skin on my back) on Aug 9. I'm wondering if it will show up? It could be an intollerance and not an allergy?

My endoscope showed flattened villi and an ulcerated duodenum. Could soy cause that..or could I be getting new sensitivities? I never reacted to soy before going gluten free.

I was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue after a scope with biopsy a month ago. I immediately stopped eating gluten. Almost immidiately the stinging pain in my belly and reflux after eating stopped.

Two weeks into the new diet I started getting a dizzy feeling. It seemed each day it got worse. Sometimes I got the stinging pain again too.

I started keeping a log of what I'm eating and any reactions I get. It's hard with delayed reactions possible and lingering effects thrown into the mix.

I ate a soy yogurt because I was advised to stay away from dairy at first, and got strong symptoms.

I drank Almond milk and got strong symptoms.

Yesterday I ate caramel flavored rice cakes and got the stinging in my belly, a headache, ear ache, and so dizzy it made me nauseated. We were away from home at the time and I just wanted to lay down but couldn't. I felt like everything was on a slant.

I went back through my log and read the ingedient list on the products I still have.

I'm noticing soy lethicin is in all of the things that I had strong reactions to.

So...I wanted chocolate last night..and it had soy lethicin too!

I'm wondering if that could be the thing that's causing me problems? If I'm reacting to that should I be sure to omit ALL soy from my diet? Are there "sneaky names" for soy too?

I'm scheduled for allergy testing (on the skin on my back) on Aug 9. I'm wondering if it will show up? It could be an intollerance and not an allergy?

My endoscope showed flattened villi and an ulcerated duodenum. Could soy cause that..or could I be getting new sensitivities? I never reacted to soy before going gluten free.

Hi Bubba,

It isn't uncommon to have an intolerance to soy after going gluten-free. Here's a link you may find helpful.

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html

I've been soy free for over a year now with the exception of soy lethicin (I know it's in my calcium supplements, and in my occasional chocolate.)

Good luck, hope you feel better soon. I had problems with almond milk too.

These are all names for MSG in the link. Is MSG the same as soy?

For years I'd get "hurricane gut" after eating at restaurants. Sometimes I'd get a migraine too. It was especially bad if I ordered ribs, which apparently they use a lot of MSG in? So, I've known for a while that I react to MSG. I never connected MSG with soy! :o

So..what CAN we eat as snacks? It looks like it will be a pretty short list?