This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Possible Solution For Chronic Hives/angiodema And Gluten Intolerant

bcberry

bcberry Newbie

Hi all, Im a brand new member to this forum, but I have been reading posts on and off for about 3 years now. I want to tell my story in hopes that I can help others in a similar situation.

In January 2007, on a beautiful sunny afternoon, I was sitting outside enjoying the day, when I started itching under my arm. Upon further inspection, there was a quarter sized raised mark just below arm pit. The next day, it had spread to my torso and on my thighs. Weeks into this (and many doctor visits!), I was only getting worse. The hives were covering every inch of my body, even the soles and palms of my feet/hands. And then, the angioedema started in my face. Daily. It was spiraling out of control. So, my allergist put me on every allergy medication under the sun or so it seemed. Prednisone being the only med that seemed to put a dent in it. Most of the time, anyway. Ok, so after a year passed, things started to level out. There would only be a few hives in the morning and they would disappear soon upon waking and a few facial swellings a month. And then another year went by, and I had gotten married and I got pregnant. I was so worried that I would be miserable pregnant and it would flare up. It didn't. In fact, I thought it was gone forever! Hurray!!!

And then I had my sweet, gorgeous, healthy baby girl. I breastfed for 5 months. Two months after I stopped breastfeding, my face started swelling again. And then, one day the hives started coming back. I was devastated! If you are reading this because you have this ailment too, then you know how hard it is. The itching consumes my entire life. I can't enjoy anything to the fullest. I describe it to others as having the 24 hour sensation of having slept in a huge fire ant bed. That usually horrifies them. It horrifies me. I thought I had this monster beat. But all is not lost!

Since "the monster", I like to call it, appeared several years ago, I have done so much research into why this happens that I decided to go back to school to persue another degree in Clinical Lab Science. These are the people that work in your hospital/clinic labs that run every test your doctor needs in order to diagnose you. (I promise Im going somewhere with this story!)Now I can understand the terminology that doctors use and Im WAY more proactive with my healthcare. I know my body better too. How come I went into remission? If I had Celiac, wouldn't I always have celiac disease? I kept coming up with Celiac, but I was never tested. I called and spoke to the nurse under my allergist, and she said she didn't know why I thought it was Celiac...she said that they were trying to figure out whether or not I had an autoimmune disease by the name of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. (Oh, since I am at this time still in college, I have no medical insurance) So, I made an appointment with my GP. Once again, just as it was before, my blood work came back "within the normal range." So, still no answers. I stayed on the internet for weeks, reading website after website about chronic hives and it's associations. With all the information I compiled, I came up with a few answers. At least, I hope they are answers. I think I have my ailment narrowed down to about 3 triggers. I stopped eating all breads, pastas, etc and also try very hard not to eat a lot of sugars (this includes sugar substitutes). I had found what is called "The Candida Diet". Please look this up and give it a try if you are suffering! It's very hard, and Im not perfect, I fall prey to a piece of cake or chocolate every once in a while. Then, I found some very strong probiotics. I mean the bottle says they are super probiotics. I had to order them online. I wont' mention brand names in this post, but if you are desperate as I was, message me and i will gladly give you the name. AND THEN, I started drinking organic, gluten free, unfiltered apple cider vinegar 3 times a day (2 tbls in 8 oz water). It is nasty tasting but holy moly, Im almost completely hive free. I still have a few upon waking but they disappear quickly and they don't itch.

I just want those of you to know what has worked for me, because I want to help! Please message me if you want more in depth instructions. This could work for you and none of it came from a pharmacy. It's cheap too! I am not on any prednisone and this diet is causing my to lose weight so I am looking like my old self again. I know this is a very long post. I have a lot more info I can share on why this works. and I would love to explain.

Thanks for reading,

B

• 11 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

das0nz Newbie

HELLO

i would appreciate any help with this .. i am experiencing a lot of what you have.. would like to know, now after a year since your post how you're doing.

unsure how to message you privately..

Sonz:)

sa1937 Community Regular

HELLO

i would appreciate any help with this .. i am experiencing a lot of what you have.. would like to know, now after a year since your post how you're doing.

unsure how to message you privately..

Sonz:)

Welcome to the forum!

The OP hasn't been on the forum since last Aug. 11 but you can send her a message by clicking on the little envelope below her avatar. Hope this helps.

das0nz Newbie

Welcome to the forum!

The OP hasn't been on the forum since last Aug. 11 but you can send her a message by clicking on the little envelope below her avatar. Hope this helps.

Thank you:)

Archived