JH85

Lactose, Casein Intolerant As Well :-(

Rate this topic

SO I found out through elimination of dairy in my diet along with gluten in every way shape and form. I then found a product called Digestive Advantage Lactose Defense Formula. I have in the past taken Latose pills when I would be ingesting any form of dairy and it helped to an extent. I then found this product and after reading the label it said "contains milk" however from researching it, the "dairy" was minimal and simply for building up a "tolerance" so I gave it a shot. Took the dose as instructed in the morning at about 9:30am. I felt fine until about 5pm I became very sick to my stomach and got severe D. This continued until about 1am when I was finally able to lie down and pass out. Upon awaking around 8am I went immediately down stairs and read the label again. In fine print it also said "may contain traces of Casein" I've heard of Casein before but wasn't sure and so I did some research on these boards and found out that many Celiacs have a sensitivity to Casein as well. I know its 100% my fault, however now I have had to deal with a very severe Hem. that is 4 days with 0 improvement :( So the moral of this story I guess is I've learned to research EVERYTHING due to this horrible disease and I am SOO happy to have found this web site and a community of fellow Celiacs :) I have lots of questions, comments and so on and so on. Thanks :D

Yep, label reading is a good thing to do every time you buy something. Even if you bought product previously as ingredients can change. Even then it's easy to get in a hurry and not notice something in that little tiny print. I have to hold packages up to my face to read them often as the print is too small for normal eyes, (read that as my eyes) ;). I avoid products with more than three ingredients and usually only eat whole foods. That cuts down on a lot of label reading and time in the store.