TatersMom08

Symptoms Of Celiac In Children

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac about a year ago after the birth of my daughter. From my understanding, I've always had some of the symptoms of celiac, but it wasn't until the physical stress of pregnancy that my celiac gene was fully turned on. Signs also point to my grandmother having celiac, as she was frequently ill and passed in 1951 at 40 years old from cancer.

My almost 3 yr old daughter might have some of the early symptoms as well, like frequently large and non-compact stools, fatigue (even though she averages 13-14 hours of sleep a day), and occasional complaints of headaches.

On vacation when she is more gluten-free because of my dietary needs, we notice that her stools become more compact and she is less crabby.

My husband and I are considering taking her gluten-free for a month to see if any of her complaints are reduced, but I'm looking for an opinion from parents of celiac children to find out what your experience and/or opinions are on our idea.

Thank you!

I'd test her. Yes, testing is unreliable BUT she's 3 and you can make her do it. Why do I say that? Because when she's older she may raise Cain.

Also, you don't want to not have "proof" if schools, etc. ask for it.

Additionally, she may have a worse reaction during a challenge.

I'd ask for antibody panels and genetic testing up front. I'd also do fecal testing with Enterolab because they test for genes that point to gluten intolerance as well.

Children are supposedly less likely to show some antibodies in bloodwork.

I plan on testing my son at the end of the month.

My daughter was exhausted all the time before she was diagnosed. She also slept 12-13 hours straight at night. She would cry for bedtime every night, say she was too tired to play, color etc. All she wanted to do was watch tv. I would try for testing first before going gluten-free but would definitely go gluten-free if the test is negative or inconclusive.

Thank you both for your advice!

I talked with her doctor and he is also concerned about her fatigue, so he's going to test her for gluten, anemia, and vitamin D. If all of the comes back normal, then I'll push to get her stool tested too.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thank you both for your advice!

I talked with her doctor and he is also concerned about her fatigue, so he's going to test her for gluten, anemia, and vitamin D. If all of the comes back normal, then I'll push to get her stool tested too.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hi TatersMom,

Make sure you do NOT put her on a gluten free diet before all the testing is complete. She must be eating gluten EVERY DAY during testing or you could get a false negative. I know it's so hard to give your kid food that you are pretty sure is making her sick... that happened with DS when he was in the hospital (yes, the hospital) getting tested. Every meal after the first positive blood test, it was so hard to give him the roll or cereal or whatnot from the hospital meal, knowing that it was likely making him sicker. But it's better to be glutened for a LITTLE longer before dx and gluten-free diet, than to get a false negative and live a lifetime with untreated celiac disease.