Nancy19

Finally...testing?

Rate this topic

I first posted last fall, and then again in the spring. I haven't posted since but I've been lurking (and learning). Long story short.. 46 years old, been hypothyroid since 1989 and prescription is constantly changing, have had digestive issues as long as I can remember (although not as bad as many of you!) which have been getting worse of late, discovered I am lactose intolerant earlier this yesr, had a mysterious intestinal something or other that resulted in diarrhea for a month in March/April and it's never quite been back to normal.

Fast forward to today - it's time for my thyroid check up. I'm currently on 250 mcg of Synthroid and still have so many hypo symptoms on top of the digestive stuff. For example, today at lunch we ordered carry out and I had a turkey sandwich. About an hour after lunch I started getting very gassy, a rumbling tummy and felt that I had to fart and/or have diarrhea. This doesn't happen after ever meal, but it's frequent enough. In fact, my tummy is still rumbling a bit now, and lunch was nearly 12 hours ago.

Anyway, I have not been tested for celiac and when I asked my doctor last fall she refused and said I didn't have it. I was last tested for Hashimotos 20 years and three doctors ago, and because I recently read online that up to 90% of hypothyroid patients have hashi's, I figure she may at least be willing to test me for that. But I'm also going to ask for the celiac test again, especially because stomach things have become worse in the last six months.

I will let you know what happens and make sure to ask for my test results and post them when I get them. :)

I first posted last fall, and then again in the spring. I haven't posted since but I've been lurking (and learning). Long story short.. 46 years old, been hypothyroid since 1989 and prescription is constantly changing, have had digestive issues as long as I can remember (although not as bad as many of you!) which have been getting worse of late, discovered I am lactose intolerant earlier this yesr, had a mysterious intestinal something or other that resulted in diarrhea for a month in March/April and it's never quite been back to normal.

Fast forward to today - it's time for my thyroid check up. I'm currently on 250 mcg of Synthroid and still have so many hypo symptoms on top of the digestive stuff. For example, today at lunch we ordered carry out and I had a turkey sandwich. About an hour after lunch I started getting very gassy, a rumbling tummy and felt that I had to fart and/or have diarrhea. This doesn't happen after ever meal, but it's frequent enough. In fact, my tummy is still rumbling a bit now, and lunch was nearly 12 hours ago.

Anyway, I have not been tested for celiac and when I asked my doctor last fall she refused and said I didn't have it. I was last tested for Hashimotos 20 years and three doctors ago, and because I recently read online that up to 90% of hypothyroid patients have hashi's, I figure she may at least be willing to test me for that. But I'm also going to ask for the celiac test again, especially because stomach things have become worse in the last six months.

I will let you know what happens and make sure to ask for my test results and post them when I get them. :)

don't ask!!! demand!! not ranting or raving, just go in with the expectation that you will get it done, if she declines again, get it in writing with her reasons.....sometimes docs will be "scared" into doing what you want when you try that tactic.....it is quite likely that she HASNT documented your request and her refusal in your chart....good luck