bluebutterflygirl

Should I Keep Ttc When I'm Not Sure If I Have Celiac?

Rate this topic

I've been trying to conceive our second child for the last 4 months. In the last few months, the stomach symptoms I've had for years have suddenly gotten a lot worse. I had a blood test for celiac disease, which came out negative, but my doctor I believe incorrectly told me I didn't have to eat gluten before the test, and I had been off gluten for 2+ weeks before the test, so I don't have a lot of confidence in the results.

My question is, should I just continue to eat gluten-free regardless, since it seems to help, and continue to try to conceive, or should I hold off on trying until after I've gone back on gluten for long enough to get accurate test results? I presume I couldn't get an endoscopy if I was pregnant, because they'd have to sedate me... is that right? My daughter is already two years old and I really don't want our children too far apart. Also, I'm 35, and I feel like my chances of conceiving again drop with every passing month.

If you feel better off of gluten, and are concerned you may have celiac disease, I would recommend staying gluten free while you conceive and are pregnant. Untreated celiac disease is linked with infertility and an increased risk of miscarriage. Good luck!