MerrillC1977

Pastry Flour & Buckwheat

Rate this topic

Two things I've seen on TV lately that realy bugged me:

First, I was watching Paula Deen on the Food Network a few days ago, and she had some guest cook with her who claimed that Pastry Flour is gluten-free. Simply wrong, yes?

Second, I am watching Chopped right now, and one of the cooks said that Buckwheat Flour is "highly glutenous." I hope she meant simply "sticky," and not actually full of gluten.

Grrrr.

Pastry flour is a low-protein flour, but it certainly isn't gluten free!

I don't know why I like to watch cooking shows when I can't eat 95% of what they're making (multiple food intolerances).

I'd love to see one of those cooking competitive shows have a competition where the chefs have to SAFELY prepare a gluten-free meal. Can't you just see Gordan Ramsey yelling "You used the wrong pan! Cook it over!"

The term "gluten" is used internationally to mean a grain's protein, like wheat gluten, corn gluten, etc. But who knows what they meant when they called buckwheat that. It is a "sticky" sort of grain when mixed with water. Like sweet rice is called "glutenous" rice or mochi, it's stickier but it is gluten free if not cross contaminated.

Can't you just see Gordan Ramsey yelling "You used the wrong pan! Cook it over!"

LMAO !