Rate this topic

This is going to be my next attempt at Indian food. Looks good. Possibly this weekend.

Anyone ever tried making these? I'll have to get some chickpea flour, asafoetida, and split black lentils (sounds like a spice?) at the Indian grocery this weekend. Am psyched.

http://chefinyou.com/2010/07/aloo-bonda-recipe/?action=recipe_print

FYI

Regarding this recipe ( asafoetida ) may have gluten in it, so be careful.

Those look amazing! Do you have the fancy little pan to get them to fry right?

As Mizzo says, you will have to find asafoetida resin or get lucky enough to find hing powder made with rice flour rather than wheat. I usually just sub a little garlic.

Split black lentils (urad dal) are a small split bean, not a spice. I have some in the pantry. :)

Do you have the pan for it? You can purchase it at Indian or specialty food shops. It makes the job easier; in fact, it is almost a necessity. Your other option is to deep fry which also works. Haven't made this particular recipe but have made others and they are GOOD!!!

What are you serving them with? They are wonderful with coconut chutney or some sort of tart sauce (i.e. with plum).

Have fun!

Do you have the pan for it? You can purchase it at Indian or specialty food shops. It makes the job easier; in fact, it is almost a necessity. Your other option is to deep fry which also works. Haven't made this particular recipe but have made others and they are GOOD!!!

What are you serving them with?

Thanks Mizzo and Sky Lark! Will take your advice, for sure!

I don't have one of those pans, so will deep fry OR see if they have inexpensive ones at the Indian grocery. I THINK I will make some more of the rice with tumeric that someone posted here with the Arabian Stew and possibly some lamb and curry sauce. What do you recommend?

Thanks Mizzo and Sky Lark! Will take your advice, for sure!

I don't have one of those pans, so will deep fry OR see if they have inexpensive ones at the Indian grocery. I THINK I will make some more of the rice with tumeric that someone posted here with the Arabian Stew and possibly some lamb and curry sauce. What do you recommend?

Lamb with curry sauce is a splendid idea. Then you could dip the balls into that if you want. Chutneys are traditional but who says you must remain traditional? :P

The balls can also be made with sweet potatoes - maybe an option for next time.

Sometimes a little pickle (even a simple quick cucumber pickle) can be nice to add a touch of acidity.

This green pea dish is AWESOME!

http://www.indianrecipe4living.com/index.php/side-dishes/305-green-peas-ambti.html

Look forward to hearing your accolades!

Lamb with curry sauce is a splendid idea. Then you could dip the balls into that if you want. Chutneys are traditional but who says you must remain traditional? :P

The balls can also be made with sweet potatoes - maybe an option for next time.

Sometimes a little pickle (even a simple quick cucumber pickle) can be nice to add a touch of acidity.

This green pea dish is AWESOME!

http://www.indianrecipe4living.com/index.php/side-dishes/305-green-peas-ambti.html

Look forward to hearing your accolades!

Oh, yum, those peas look good! May try those or maybe wait 'till next time. We'll see. Thx for the link!

Oh, yum, those peas look good! May try those or maybe wait 'till next time. We'll see. Thx for the link!

When are you cooking this feast? I'm really, really into ethnic cooking.

When are you cooking this feast? I'm really, really into ethnic cooking.

Sunday! Am looking forward to trying this :)I do an Indian pitch-in sometimes with vegan friends, but not this wk. b/c want to have lamb.