CeliacFashionista

Seeing A Derm. This Week!

Rate this topic

I will be seeing a derm. this thursday to get a prescription for my DH. I am on a short course of prednisone right and it is helping to clear up my skin in the mean time. I was wondering what prescriptions work best for this condition. My DH breakouts vary on my face from cystic like acne- itching little breakouts on my face and all over my body. I am so desperate at this point to clear them up that I will try anything. I have tried the low iodine diet but it is driving me crazy!!!!!! I really need any advice!

The only advice I have is to wean off the prednisone slowly. And by that in mean 2x as slow as your doctor tells you to.

Most people have an immediate DH resurgence after going off steroids.

Dapsone is the usual rx for DH. You need to be monitored when you start, since it can have side effects.

Good luck, and I hope you get some relief.

Have you had the DH biopsy? If you haven't been diagnosed by skin biopsy then you may want to insist on it. Then you know for sure and then dapsone may be an option (there are many side effects and liver etc monitoring required). Get as knowledgable about DH as you possibly can about DH before visiting the Dermatologist. If in doubt ring the clinic and ask if the derm has experience with DH. You may want to save your time and money.

This is the worst case senario kind of actions required but don't be afraid to take control of your own skin.

Have you had the DH biopsy? If you haven't been diagnosed by skin biopsy then you may want to insist on it. Then you know for sure and then dapsone may be an option (there are many side effects and liver etc monitoring required). Get as knowledgable about DH as you possibly can about DH before visiting the Dermatologist. If in doubt ring the clinic and ask if the derm has experience with DH. You may want to save your time and money.

This is the worst case senario kind of actions required but don't be afraid to take control of your own skin.

I have not hade a biopsy but I am 100% sure this is DH. My derm. is the type of doctor that believes diet does not cause skin issues so he is clueless about this. However, he will prescribe just about anything I ask for and he is the only doctor that I am sure will prescribe me with what I need.

Let us know how the visit goes. Dapsone is the only recorded medication that helps DH. If is generally said that if it works for you then you have DH. But be VERY careful about Dapsone ... read all the warnings and be sure you get the testing required to ensure it isn't destroying something else. Do your homework. And perhaps some concern about mixing the steriod in you system with another big drug like Dapsone???? Make the derm and your pharmacist do his/her homework before you jump in to this mix.

I've finally been prescribed the dapsone after having my blood work cleared. Today is my first day taking it and I still have breakouts despite being on 50mg of prednisone. How long does this stuff take to work. I just want to have a normal face already and not have to spend everyday hiding under a hat!!! Ugh