This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Disease: An elusive diagnosis - Grand Forks Herald

Scott Adams

Scott Adams Grand Master

Open Original Shared Link

Grand Forks Herald

Celiac disease is on the rise, according to Dr. Alberto Rubio-Tapia, assistant professor of medicine at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., who has been involved in studies on the disease. “Unfortunately, most people with celiac disease remain ...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mom of Boys Rookie

"In the past, celiac disease may have been misdiagnosed as irritable bowel syndrome, or anxiety and depression."

This is partially true. In the past, but yeah, most doctors are still living in the past. It took a great deal of insistence to force my docs to test me and they found nothing. However since going gluten free, my symptoms have improved. That is, until I developed debilitating vertigo. I am guessing this is due to the fact that I no longer need the high dosages of thyroid meds and that I'm actually hyperthyroid now because of my diet restrictions. We will see as time goes on.

Another think that caught me as kind of funny is that they said that this way of eating is more expensive. Well, yes and no. I'm certainly spending more money on flour, bread, and pasta. But I'm NOT spending nearly the same amounts of money on otc medications for ailments that continued to pop up when I was eating gluten. And I've learned to adapt the things I eat so that I don't need the special flours, breads, and what-not. AND since I'm eating fresher foods that are not prepackaged, I'm eating healthier too. A savvy person with celiacs or gluten intolerance can save money by purchasing better foods while they are on sale, and simply consuming less of the pricey substitutes. Skip the sandwich. Instead, have a salad with some chicken and maybe a few Marys gone crackers. Have a steak and potato while your collegues are stuffing their faces with glutenous appetizers. Bake a small gluten free cake and carry it with you to the next birthday party. after caking your own plate, offer to share - let the guests taste your yummy cake - they are very good!

Instead of teaching people to be wary of the diagnosis, more articles should be written about the aloofness of the disease. It is hard to catch, even in someone with true celiacs, false negatives can and are being diagnosed. And the diagnosis does NOTHING. It cannot allow for special meds, offer new methods of treatment, or help patients understand the condition more thoroughly. Whether diagnosed or not, if you have a gluten intolerance, your health is truly in your hands.

Archived