This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Celiac Cause Your Body To Become Allergic To A Lot Of Other Things?

6pennies

6pennies Newbie

I used to break out in hives all the time as a teenager and around the same time started to have anaphylactic reactions to carrots, bananas, avacado's, red delicious apples, watermelon, any melon including cucumbers, and tree nuts. I always went to the doctor but they never knew what was wrong. I also was in the hospital a lot for asthma. Then at 20 my joints became so painful I couldn't put weight on them. I went to a doctor who told me it was my adrenal. He gave me medicine and the pain andy symtom in my joints went away. I never had stomach pain, or excema but when I was pregnant with my second daughter I began to break out. After my fourth child I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and autoimmune disease. My thyroid died within the month of diagnosis. I have gone gluten free and I feel so much better but I was never tested for celiac. I know I have often been anemic but can't tolerate iron without getting extremely sick and vomitting. Vitamin supplements in the past have made my neck stiff and I suffer severe body aches and flulike symtoms which subside after I quit with the supplement. Lately vitamins aren't bothering me, stomach bloating which I attributed to having six babies is gone and a depression I have always felt is gone. I think I have celiac. I don't want to eat gluten again. How important is the testing?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I guess the real question is how important is the testing to you? And since you are asking the question you don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. :)

There are those who say you must be tested, you MUST know if you are celiac. But there are also those who say that a diagnosis is not worth making yourself sick for. You don't want to eat gluten again, and I don't blame you. Tlhe only reason, really, for you to want a diagnosis is because the disease is genetic and it is important that your children be tested for it. The recommendation is for all first degree relatives to be tested, every two to three years, or at first sign of symptoms. Are you the only one at home who eats gluten free or is the whole house gluten free?

Archived