I'm new here and looking for advice on whether or not my symptoms sound like Celiac or a gluten intolerance.
To start with I've had stomach issues my entire life. I've always had cramps, bloating, gas and gas cramps that were intermittent. I never went to the doctors to find the cause of it so I just lived with it. I've always had anxiety and would get terrible stomach aches when ever I was nervous. I've always been skinny and no matter how much I eat I've never been able to gain weight.
Starting in June things seemed to get worse. Five times since June I'll be eating and I'll have to run to the bathroom because I'll get cramps and diarrhea. The last time it happened I was eating Spaghetti. Since June I've had these symptoms which haven't gone away;
- Gas (almost every night, which doesn't always get released)
- Bloating (don't know if it's really considered bloating but gas just seems to move around in my stomach/intestines and doesn't get released)
- Gurgling Stomach/Intestines
- Pain on left side
- Ribbon stools (intermittent)
- Twitching on left side (ribbon stools follow when this happens)
- Diarrhea (intermittent)
- Hair Loss
- Weight Loss (I'm down from 135 lbs to about 118 lbs since June for no reason)
My doctor wanted to test me for Celiac but I told him I had done a gluten free diet for 2 months and it didn't help. At the time I was still eating gluten but wasn't aware of it (theres gluten in more things then I realized). I stopped eating gluten 2 days ago the gas hasn't been as bad. I have a doctors appointment on March 2 so I was wondering if I should ask to be tested? and if I do, will I still have to eat gluten until I'm tested?
One last question, if I get tested and my tests come back positive and I go on a gluten free diet, how long until the gas, gurgling, diarrhea and ribbon stools go away?