This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Clay Coloured Stool

whitepine

whitepine Apprentice

Hi everyone,

So I haven't been officially diagnosed as celiac yet, I had my endo and colonoscopy in March, still waiting for my biopsies back at the end of August. Yeah stuff goes reallllllly slow in Canada. Anyway. Long story short, I am in the USA and I wont be back to Canada until this sunday. I've had grey stool for over a week now and it hasn't changed, it's not intermittent it's been like that all week.
I don't feel that great and my upper abdomen hurts a bit when I exhale (along my chest and around to the back). I feel clammy and hot like I have a fever but I am not sure, I generally just feel crappy. Has anyone else experienced this clay coloured stool thing for longer than a couple of days. I checked other topics here about it and someone mentioned taking milk thistle, lemon juice and digestive enzymes to help out the gallbladder if it's an issue.

Unfortunately I can't see a doctor here because I have no insurance yet. But if this isn't resolved by the time I am back in Canada, should I take the time and spend the hours waiting in the hospital to see a doctor about it (my family doctor is useless, not that the doctors at the hospital wont be but things might move a long a little faster, plus she's on holidays).

I've looked up some information on it and some other symptoms of a serious problem can be yellowing of the skin and eyes and itching but I don't have any of that. I have nausea but I haven't vomited.

I've been eating a lot of corn based pasta and it has started to affect me like wheat etc, so I don't know if this is the cause or not.

What do you guys think? Should I be worried or just wait it out and see if other symptoms show up.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BZBee Apprentice

Pancreatic trouble, I hope not. Clay color stools are indicative of pancreatic trouble. Believe me you do not want pancreatitis. It's the most horrible thing in the world. If you have pain in the upper back towards the right side that you eventually feel in your upper right quadrant you'll need to go to ER. I describe it as someone taking a power drill into your stomach. Taking amylase and lipase digestive aids will help.

whitepine Apprentice

Thank you for your reply.
I am hoping it will resolve itself but I am concerned about the health of my pancreas. The pain isn't really severe but it is obvious and more painful while I am eating. I've been taking digestive enzymes and that seems to lessen the pain. I will have to see a doctor when I get back to Canada. I am just worried that they might not take me too seriously because I don't appear that sick. Meaning I'll spend hours in the ER only to be turned away with one of those pink ladies (those little drinks they give that are basically gaviscon with some kind of throat numbing red stuff).
My mother suffered from acute pancreatitis in her 30s and almost died because they told her it was just heart burn and indigestion. She ended up in the hospital for weeks and now has diabetes.
I see my gastrointestinal doctor at the end of August so if nothing is resolved at the hospital this coming weekend then I'll mention it to her, she seems to be very thorough and understanding.

BZBee Apprentice

I hope everything turns ot well. Keep us posted.

angus Newbie

My understanding is that pale or clay coloured stools are the result of undigested fat in the intestine, due to malabsorption (which can be from different causes - Crohns, Celiac, pancreatitis, gallbladder issues and other).

I have had a couple of bouts of mild pancreatitis - they can't work out the cause for me, but the latest theory is I am a long-term undiagnosed Celiac - my biopsy was not classic Celiac, but it was not normal either....  Apparently, UNTREATED Celiac disease can be trigger recurring pancreatitis.

Typically (but not always) eating brings on pain when you have pancreatitis - for me the pain would start within minutes of eating and it was pretty strong pain. I don't know if you have that pain pattern?

In my experience they have tried to diagnose with blood tests (pancreatic enzymes, liver panel - and serum calcium, triglycerides, IgA to try to find out the cause - gall stones / too much calcium / fat in the blood, autoimmune, alcohol) and with an ultrasound initially followed by CT / MRI and finally endoscopic ultrasound if suspicion remains high but nothing else has showed up.  Number one rule if you have pancreatitis is not to touch alcohol regardless of the cause.

Hope don't have pancreatitis and hope you feel better soon

Archived