Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

iloathegluten

Small Bowel Bacterial Overgrowth?

Rate this topic

I've been a longtime lurker of this forum. Did a lot of Celiac research when I first found out, but I wanted to join to see how many of you have had the experience I just had...

I recently had a really, really bad gluten exposure (3 months ago). Been gluten free for a year and a half and it was my first gluten poisoning that was a direct source of wheat and not just CC. Long story short a sever at a restaurant told me a meat ball was gluten free, but it actually had bread crumbs as a binding agent, which I later found out when I called the manager. I was SO SICK.  CC makes me sick for about 3 days, but by a week, I usually feel better. This made me sick for months, and I'm STILL sick now.. I just never recovered. I feel as bad as I was before I stopped eating gluten.

Fortunately my doctor just discovered something. I have small bowel bacterial overgrowth and learned this is likely responsible for my very slowed recovery from this incident...

Does anyone have experience with this? I've been started on antibiotics to help treat it and will be starting a low fodmap diet to hopefully manage my symptoms better. So glad I have a potential way to make myself feel better. (I still would really love to strangle that server though... lol)