Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Rate this topic

Hi folks

I am self diagnosed Celiac and have been on a strict gluten free diet since March of this year. I am feeling a hell of a lot better than I did before I started the diet. Within 2 days of stopping gluten I felt like a totally different person. I was in a really bad way for a long time. I am so grateful that I managed to work out what my problem was.

Anyway.... I was wondering if it would be a good idea to go to the doctors and get my vitamin levels checked. Is it likely I will still be low on certain vitamins even though I am feeling better? I wouldn't say I feel 100% yet and still get some weird symptoms like small muscle twitches and stinging eyes.

Any help/advice would be great

Thanks

Hi folks

I am self diagnosed Celiac and have been on a strict gluten free diet since March of this year. I am feeling a hell of a lot better than I did before I started the diet. Within 2 days of stopping gluten I felt like a totally different person. I was in a really bad way for a long time. I am so grateful that I managed to work out what my problem was.

Anyway.... I was wondering if it would be a good idea to go to the doctors and get my vitamin levels checked. Is it likely I will still be low on certain vitamins even though I am feeling better? I wouldn't say I feel 100% yet and still get some weird symptoms like small muscle twitches and stinging eyes.

Any help/advice would be great

Thanks

Yes get blood work vitamin D and B12 I was both very low. Due to the damage in the small intestine. The body won't has a hard time asorbing vitamins. Good luck

Low levels of B12 and D are common with celiac disease. Thirteen years after going gluten-free, I still take supplements for those. I just had my B12 level checked, and am reducing my oral B12 1000 mcg to every other day. You should also consider calcium levels. Bone density is affected by vitamin D and calcium. Weak bones can evolve during untreated celiac disease. The recovery from that is slow; Ca and D help with recovery.