Rate this topic

I had my first gluten free grocery shopping trip yesterday. My local grocery store is Hy-vee, they had an onsite dietitian that was extremely helpful. She walked around the store with me and showed me her favorite gluten-free products and the binder the store keeps with a list of all the store brand products that are gluten-free. When I had a question about spices that she couldn't answer she called the stores hq for me and found that while they are gluten-free they can't guarantee they aren't cross contaminated, when she found that out she called Tones and found that they are gluten-free.  I was really impressed by her and the store. If you live in the midwest ( Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, or Kansas) these stores are great for gluten free!   

I live in KC.  Some stores have a lot more of the specialty gluten-free foods than others.  So, check all of the stores in the area - you might find one that is even better.  And they have gluten-free product tasting days occasionally.

I will, I went to Hy-vee first because they have the on site dietitian. My sisters have been scoping out the other stores for me. I wish we had a whole foods or trader joes closer then Des Moines (3 hrs).

I meant - if you have more than 1 HyVee - some  HyVees have more than others.  We have one here that has 4 times more than Whole Foods.  Also, with HyVee, if there is a product you have heard good things about - they might order it and see how it sells.

I meant - if you have more than 1 HyVee - some  HyVees have more than others.  We have one here that has 4 times more than Whole Foods.  Also, with HyVee, if there is a product you have heard good things about - they might order it and see how it sells.

Ohh.. yes there's a hy-vee everywhere you go here. I think there are like 20 within 20 mins. I did a lot of research with the different hy-vees and the 2 that are the closest have the most celiac savvy dietitians.  The deli even knew what meats were gluten-free and sliced them the next morning while the machine was still clean.  For the first experience it was great and was made a lot easier for me then I thought it was going to be.