Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

christa

Chicken Aand Vegetables?

I just had rice for lunch with some vegetables that I know are safe for me and I got totally bloated and got lots of cramps...etc. The more I go gluten-free the more other things are bothering me. The only thing I can safely eat right now is chicken, turket, fish and a handful of vegetaables oh and butter. Is this normal when starting a gluten-free diet?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest katzmeow21
I just had rice for lunch with some vegetables that I know are safe for me and I got totally bloated and got lots of cramps...etc.  The more I go gluten-free the more other things are bothering me.  The only thing I can safely eat right now is chicken, turket, fish and a handful of vegetaables oh and butter.  Is this normal when starting a gluten-free diet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I am fairly new to this celiac problem. I found out in August! Since then I have been reading these message boards and lots of other material like books and articles on this issue.

Interesting read for you might be "Breaking the vicious cylce " by Elaine Gothschall

It kind of goes on to explain how people with celiac and other various intestinal issues usually have a problem with breaking down any type of carbohydrate which is a dissacharide. Anyway its a problem with breaking down ANY type of grain including rice, quinoa etc etc etc and some other specific vegetables like potatoes and stuff that break down similarly. She says to go completely grain free for at least a year. I know this sounds kinda crazy but when you read the scientific explanation it really does make sense. I find I really bloat when I eat rice with anything too. So maybe you are one of those really sensitive individuals and maybe this could be a consideration..... They also have a web site and recipes which I have tried some of the bread and muffin ones recently. She uses almond flour as the base for these (they are yummy) U can also use cashews, walnuts or whatever .....

regards mj